FNB Tower (Charter Square)

Yep. This view shows FNB (300?’) a tad taller than One Progress Plaza (276’).

6 Likes

The cool thing with FNB (Charter Square North) is how nice the coordinated look is with the 11 story Charter Square South.
Charter%20Pair

It really caps the south downtown core and strengthens the modern look for that part of town. So sharp!

6 Likes

It does look great in the rendering- but if there’s one thing I’ve learned…it’s to never trust the rendering :joy:

2 Likes

Agreed. This is great until the city releases those two parking lots for a future game changing project that will go up to 40+ floors each!

6 Likes

The preliminary to releasing those sites is dedicating the extension of Fayetteville Street, which is underway. Mercedes Benz came within a whisker of locating on those sites.

6 Likes

Agree, with you I do…:sunglasses:

Sadly, I believe that these city owned sites are also under the 20 story height line?
As in, you have to go through extra review if you want taller…but at this stage in DTR they really don’t need to as I believe a developer can get enough $ back with just the 20 stories…? :thinking:

All of Fayetteville Street is zoned for 40, IIRC. Practically speaking, those are the only sites likely to ever have something that tall. Duke Energy owns air rights on the empty lot next to Progress One and the other parcels are all historic buildings, or state offices that will never move.

2 Likes

There are actually a few parcels along the street that aren’t, such as the State Supreme Court and Court of Appeals buildings (5 stories), the Odd Fellows Building (12 stories), and a host of small historic buildings between Martin and Hargett that are zoned 5 or 7 stories. There’s a few others as well, such as Capital Bank (20 stories) and the Sir Walter (12 stories).

But yes, the rest of the street is 40 stories, including the aforementioned lots between South and Lenoir.

1 Like

26 Likes

Not sure if anybody has noticed yet but they have started framing out the apartments this week.

13 Likes

10 Likes

They have started working on the 19th floor so the topping out will not be too far away…

14 Likes

There goes my office view. Windows are going up on the residential portion now.

12 Likes

While driving up S Saunders St this morning, I noticed the FNB Tower sticking up above the surrounding skyline. I didn’t think that it would improve the “money shot” of the Raleigh skyline, but it definitely will be quite noticeable.

9 Likes

Yeah it’s definitely noticeable. It’ll be even more noticeable later, but it’s not going to stick up too much compared to the Progress building. What’s most striking to me is how ‘full’ that area of the skyline looks now. As in, it looks very dense I don’t see any more buildings of height fitting there. From that angle, gaze slightly left or right though, and the density appearance drops off quickly. It definitely adds to the skyline and will impact it, but 2 blocks east or 2 blocks west and the impact it would have would be significantly greater. I don’t understand, as Fayetteveille St is filled up, why the city hasn’t changed the neighboring blocks zoning to 40 stories. Seems like developers don’t like requesting variances, so we are going to have this very dense skyline that will flatten off across the horizon at 20 stories.

7 Likes

17 Likes

Seriously starting to think FNB will NOT become the new 4th tallest :expressionless:

Need MOAR levels!! Darn parking garage base limitation.

Based on the roof height we were given, it will be 4th, but visually it should look nearly identical to One Progress in height from most angles. However, from the south it should make a solid improvement, particularly from the ‘money shot’.

5 Likes

But it looks so pretty on a post card! Don’t offend the post card lovers on here. Eat your terrible view and like it.

1 Like