FNB Tower (Charter Square)

I’ll put my vote is as “don’t care about splitting hairs over the height”.

10 Likes

Yeah I mean not that it reaaalllyyy matters. Just kind of disppointing downtown is continuing it’s silhouette of a cluster of shorter boxes, and then 3 tall towers. Breaking into that 300ft range would just be nice for more variation.

3 Likes

It never made sense to me when the more aggressive height were announced, especially that height measured from Fayetteville St. I suppose that it’s still possible to have it be over 300 ft. if measured at the base on Wilmington and the crown on Fayetteville.

3 Likes

Yeah maybe that’s always where the numbers came from. But it will absolutely struggle to take that 4th tallest spot.

2 Likes

Specific to the FNB, the building is dealing with the sins of 2006/2007 when the underground parking deck was originally constructed. The old timers may recall that the footers used to support something taller were never installed as the original building was to be a 23 story residential only tower before the great crash of 2008 killed it.

JDavis addressed this directly in the appearance commission meeting when they stated point blank they were maximizing every inch the supports could bare and adding a crown in an attempt to increase faux height.

Unfortunate yes but they were dealt a bad hand from days gone bye

10 Likes

Remember back when they were constructing the FNB Building?

(Google Photos likes to suggest edits to my shots.)

6 Likes

Never thought to look at FNB from the perspective of our rooftop. From here it looks very unimpressive, though I’m thrilled to have that space filled and more density downtown.

8 Likes

I think that’s a great shot and shows conclusively that it is definitely shorter than the Progress Energy building, likely even with the parapet.

Camera angles can play tricks on us.

Even if FNB isn’t taller than One Progress it’s still the tallest in the city since PNC was completed back in 2008. FNB may not make a major impact on the skyline, but it fills in valuable space and shows that Raleigh is continuous growing!

12 Likes

Taken at lunch today.

24 Likes

I like this tower a lot. I’d like it a lot better though at 100 feet taller. #ohwell #sigh

11 Likes

Looking tall at least from this angle! :grin:

15 Likes

Raleigh makes me sad. What is this garbage?!

1 Like

What? What are you even doing?

Care to add a little more to that?

8 Likes

I think this comment is garbage without some explanation. Please expand on the “garbage”.

8 Likes

A Helluva first post. Please expand on your view of “garbage”. Is the the building? The skyline? Please don’t make this your one and only post without an explanation.

5 Likes

Or do, and never post again lol.

11 Likes

I completely agree with you on that!

1 Like