Glenwood South Restaurant/Bar Renovations

I remember those days as well. I wrote my contract for the Cotton Mill back in 93 or 94. I don’t remember exactly which year, but it took a good while for it to come to fruition. My parents were mortified, but I knew that it would turn around. The area was just too close to so many things that were positive.
As for Glenwood Towers, other than the suburban site plan, my biggest problem with it is its upkeep. It’s clear to me that RHA is just squeezing the last little bit out of its useful life. The loading dock area often looks like shit, and the general upkeep of the property is prison-like. That said, I don’t think that the building itself is a total loss, but I don’t think that it will ever reach its potential in its current use due to it being low income for seniors. Even so, I’d rather look out my window at it than that hideous Revisn Hotel on Boylan.
I often contemplate what I’d do with that building as a rehab and can imagine floor to ceiling windows where the current windows & the thru-wall units are currently. I too imagine doing something with the site plant to engage the sidewalk on Glenwood with small businesses. A garage at the corner of Johnson and Boylan seems to make sense to me, and the courtyard in the middle of the site is a perfect amenity space for whatever would occupy the building in the future. At some point, the RHA is probably going to realize that the value of the property is just too high to resist selling out and using that money to build a new facility elsewhere where land is less expensive. I doubt that they are savvy enough to think about how to use their existing land opportunities to create revenue to allow renovation of the towers and remain in place. They may also be limited by code/funding models etc. in that regard to even consider it anyway.

6 Likes

Ooh, nope. Try as I may I can’t bring myself to like the giant tombstone on the historic footprint of Halifax Street.

2/3 isn’t bad tho.
And wait a second, something doesn’t add up here. I get it about Glenwood Towers, definitely have to look more than skin deep to love that thing… but the Capital Bank building is absolutely gorgeous in every way? :star_struck:

4 Likes

I, too, love the Cap Bank building. But the Archdale I just think is so ugly it’s cute. I can’t help but like it simply because someone has to!!!

2 Likes

Somewhat similar to this building in Montreal; from certain angles, it looks like a giant concrete wall looming from this little green area:

I like the Archdale in that it provides height for the city while not being in many of our money shots. It is not pretty, but it is not the worst. The AT&T building, for instance, is atrocious. I know we’ve discussed it in another thread though.

4 Likes

A new restaurant and bar permits were issued off Saint Mary’s St. near the intersections of Peace st. next to the Exxon. In my opinion, these up-fits are what keep the small business going locally, it’s tough to swing the rent at somewhere like the Dillon if you don’t have an established name or brand.

13 Likes

@pBeez This is Brad’s former building. I’ll be first in line to have a beer there and toast my buddy.

2 Likes

I recognize it. Awesome! We will have to meet up there as well.

1 Like

Kari sold it to CityGate in December. He would love it becoming a bar. First round on me. Some life in that area. Good.

3 Likes

V&R is an old victorian cottage with a storefront stuck to it. Pretty big old house from the back actually. Has a back yard and everything

2 Likes

@Mark any pictures of it pre brick storefront?

I haven’t seen any yet but I’ve been working my way through archive’s flickr account and some are close. I know olderaleigh has one taken from almost in front of it but looking NW. Sanborn shows it as a straight edge front porch at 233 Saunders (second down from top left) as of 1914 (upper left off map)

so would look like a typical smoky hollow house.

6 Likes

Snapshot in time of Glenwood S at North Street.
301 Hillsborough and Tower Two at Glenwood cranes in the distance.

Click and drag to interact:

16 Likes

Is The Line the longest stretch of building in Raleigh?

5 Likes

I was just thinking that it sure is a long building.

1 Like

At this point, the urban neighborhood credentials are untouchable by other parts of the city. Thanks for this 360 photo @OakCityDylan

5 Likes

I hope that in the near future more 7+ apartment buildings will be in this area

4 Likes

That’s what she said. (sorry…couldn’t help it!)

1 Like

What is the plan for the area between the Line and West at North parking deck? There is a space there and if it is being used to access the courtyard between the apartments and the office a small market area with small shops and stalls against the parking deck of North at West can be a lively market.

Not sure where you are talking about. There are only inches between the Line and West deck.