Glenwood South Restaurant/Bar Renovations

I thought the site plan for this had the devolve and adjacent building being leveled for a courtyard. You’d think with this much progress on the main building they would have started demo?

3 Likes

I think the Devolve building is a separate development, with Devolve’s shell staying and the Vickers and Ruth plumbing building next door is demolished to make for the court yard. I’m trying to find the plans now.

That Tin Roof bar is looking awesome too

Edit: Found the plans:

3 Likes

^ The owners of Milk bar and Cornerstone are the ones that put out those plans. Will it be called, Milkstone :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

1 Like

I don’t like the idea of tearing out ANY building along Glenwood South for a patio. I thought an urbanizing neighborhood was about filling in the gaps, not creating more of them.

12 Likes

Totally agree and I like the Devolve space. I do hope that’s staying at least.

Totally agree. Putting the patio on the roof (like Tin Roof) is a way better answer to the same question of how to create outdoor space than tearing down the building next door.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea of recessing the first floor facade of the building to create an outdoor/sidewalk cafe experience, especially if it were paired with a new second floor that created an overhang of that recessed overhead space.

1 Like

I wonder what the timeline will be. The CDC (Carolina Design & Construction) projects seem to take forever to materialize:
-Feel goodz space
-616 Glenwood
-Eden (granted change of situation with the Willard Hotel next door starting soon)
-Devolve+Vickers

Those are all the same company? Jeez… I thought they were all independently stalled little projects

Dan Lovenheim who owns a number of bars in Glenwood South is the owner of the CDC construction company, and has an equity interest in all the spaces named. He may be simple reserving spaces for future growth, but cannot afford to move quickly.

2 Likes

FYI

5 Likes

Sign is going up today!31%20AM

14 Likes

I love the style! Going to be a nice addition to Glenwood S.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too. I am so glad that it’s not a boring sign in accordance with an overly restrictive sign ordinance.

1 Like

16 Likes

Love it! It makes the entire building presence so much more dynamic. I can’t wait to see it at night!

4 Likes

I didn’t realize this was a chain. Perhaps I missed that somewhere up the thread.

Ignore the “Hot Tin Roof” listing.

3 Likes

Yeah I think the one in Charlotte is in the Epicenter where I stayed a few months ago. I saw this thread on the train back to Raleigh, so I just missed checking it out. Still, if they have several locations, they must have some idea what they’re doing. Which is good, since I feel like everything on that side of GS comes and goes within a year.

I’m glad that ours is going to be more in a high street retail context that a new urbanism shopping center. These centers, though I lamented DT Raleigh not having one 20 years ago, are getting to be passe. For example, the one in Coconut Grove (Miami) is being completely re-envisioned.
https://www.miamiherald.com/miami-com/miami-com-news/article225806055.html

1 Like

NOOOOO… Just went by Cornerstone #3 and looks like they are doing some add on work to it :frowning: . Looks like the armpit of glenwood south is sticking around.