Highwoods in Raleigh

FCB is more likely to move to Charlotte than they are to move somewhere in Raleigh other than NH.

Neither possibility is very likely at all: NH is their home, and there they shall remain.

2 Likes

The entire Holding Family (who owns the bank) lives in Raleigh or Smithfield. Bet you a virtual $5 dollars they move Downtown, DTSouth.

3 Likes

At this point I’d take anything on that lot. Having a gravel parking lot in a prime area of downtown just looks and feels out of place.

I bet a tall, residential only tower right there would be like printing money since I have a feeling it would sell out (or rent out if apartments).

8 Likes

UncleJesse is definitely speaking facts :100:, And knows what he is talking about in this Case the Holdings are old South and has serious history here, the only way they move to Charlotte USA, Is if they sell or go public, so its extremely unlikely they move to Charlotte. I am a Native of Raleigh so not to come off as a know it all lol, but its certain things I know about this area Holdings or FCB not going nowhere again unless they make those changes I stated.

1 Like

So do you see them going anywhere else in Raleigh other than NH’s?

I would love for them to return to Downtown Raleigh Headquarters wise,but I think North Hills may have first crack, But if they make a move then yes Downtown South or Downtown Raleigh is possible because of the strong relationship they have with Kane.

3 Likes

I did not mention Charlotte because I think FCB would actually move there. That’s really unlikely to happen.

But I also just don’t see them leaving NH for downtown -“south” or otherwise. It just isn’t that much of a change to make it worth the trouble. Sadly they wouldn’t even see it as an upgrade in terms of amenities or prestige, and it’s maybe even a downgrade for now in terms of visibility and convenience.

Commuter rail has the potential to boost Downtown’s stature relative to NH.

8 Likes

I wish they’d at least do something valuable with the surface lots in the short term. Something like the food truck rodeos they have in Portland would be nice (here’s a good example of one I visited a few years ago). Not sure if it’s as lucrative as parking, but at least it generates foot traffic while they figure out if they’re ever going to do anything useful with the property.

Surface parking lots contribute zero value to downtown areas, especially when parking garages are plentiful.

7 Likes

I’m joining in on the bet that FCB goes Downtown South. FCB owns a large amount of property off of Timber/Hammond in South Raleigh where the Data Operations center is located and the family lives in Raleigh. I think the tower stays in Raleigh and the two locations are close to one another in the future.

1 Like

My bet is on NH’s. And that is even if they build a “tower”… :office:

They are public. FCNCA. The Holdings don’t own the bank. Just a good chunk of the stock.

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t3:
A birdie told a birdie Highwoods is going to convert one of their highly profitable gravel lots into a residential project.
The same birdie via the same birdie said they’d move their HQ DTR.
Let’s make it 2/2!
:crossed_fingers:t3:

37 Likes

I feel the need to knock on an entire forest after hearing that.

Best get out to Umstead.

11 Likes

Next meet up, Umstead. I’m with ya.

7 Likes

Hoping this is the Edison lot at the corner of Martin and Wilmington. Need as much residential near Fayetteville as we can possibly get.

10 Likes

my prediction is that is the site of the new First Citizens Tower OR they take over the awful parking deck site on Fayetteville Street.

& “no” FCB has not announced any plans…I’m just betting

2 Likes

I’ll bet a wooden nickel it will be 20 stories. Raleigh will be in the Guinness Book of Records for the most 20 story buildings per capita of any city in the world :grinning:

5 Likes

Kinda think they would hold that one for office, but I dunno. My guess is the Hargett/ Harrington lot. Recently approved for DX-40-CU.

12 Likes

…and knowing Highwoods, with that recent rezoning approval, they’ll propose a 21 story building :rofl:

11 Likes

The nicest 5-over-1 you will ever see.

6 Likes