ITB New Home Builds

Five Points: 1608 Carson St to be subdivided into 3 lots. Currently a 4-plex.

For what its worth, I had sent the owner this idea a bit ago for a 9-unit building there…

3 Likes

As a very close neighbor to this, I’m very glad they didn’t take you up on your design :slight_smile:

Any ideas on the timeline for the construction? Where did you find these plans?

1 Like

AN ACTUAL NIMBY AMONGST US :scream:
(Density is key to reducing the housing shortage. Instead, they’re taking a 4-plex house and dividing it up into 3 lots which will more than likely result in 3 single-family homes. 3 is less than 4, for those wondering :upside_down_face:)

11 Likes

Well not really, the home before was originally a single family home that was converted into a 4-plex. It would have at maximum 2 rooms per unit, or 8 total. It’s more than likely most were 1 bedroom, but let’s assume the larger number of 2 per unit. The new homes built here will be at minimum 4 bedroom, with some possibly 5, with roughly 3-4 new residents per home, which includes both parents and kids. It’s an increase in residents either way you look at it.

4 Likes

Hey neighbor! I’m a block away. But yea, I understand the reaction - its not something you see alot in Raleigh so might be a stretch in the midst of the neighborhood. Honestly, would fit better along Glenwood or Whitaker Mill.

Plans:

3 Likes

Fair enough - but @mike was simply pointing out that even more residents could’ve been added here.

3 Likes

Ah that’s nice. Pity it didn’t pan out. Reminds me of smaller Northeastern cities, or to a lesser degree Glenwood-Brooklyn here in Raleigh in the mix of building types.

That area is one R-10 anyway so this would require rezoning.

1 Like

haha, no no, I’d love to see more density. I just think that particular building in the image is pretty ugly :face_with_peeking_eye:. It just feels like something that should be downtown, surrounded by other buildings. I would kill for some ground floor retail on my block though! Especially a sandwich shop…this area is DESPERATELY in need.

6 Likes

There is a doughnut shop a few blocks away, that’s a start… But i agree, it needs more retail. The senior living facility in front of high Park is definitely a missed opportunity.

1 Like

And how many millions for each new house? 1? 2? more?

Average new home construction cost in Raleigh is ~$450k and the land is assessed at ~$400, so, given the location, yeah, I’d assume $1M is a fair guess.

114 Summit is under contract. Let’s see what final price is in couple weeks.

https://raleighnc-energovpub.tylerhost.net/apps/selfservice#/permit/4245b4af-fe13-49d9-9352-7428fed09e6b

TBJ just posted an article with this development. Says they will be 2,700sqft and starting mid $600,000s

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/12/15/new-townhomes-downtown-raleigh-housing-market.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_RA&csrc=6398&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A%20Trending%20Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3iZKJm4j_aAC-5BPrY2fnjl0XSRPBISFhtDbVsHqdDn_9swJbx4S82uWM

7 Likes

1st of 2 new homes. Prices keep surprising me.

See what I found on #Zillow!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/165-Prospect-Ave-Raleigh-NC-27603/6435926_zpid/

2 Likes

I think that the rooftop is about the only thing that really excites me about this house. The rest is meh…especially for that price.

3 Likes

Yep. If it’s like the one sold on Fayetteville st, lights, fixtures etc are from Home Depot or Lowe’s. Not high end. In my pedestrian opinion.

Whoops I should be talking this up I live nearby. Lol.

This sorta fits here - I was up in R’wood for a quick weekend visit, and there are shoehorning a street of town homes up above Crabtree on some of the old horse farm property along Blue Ridge. (Not ITB, but JOTB, lol) My sister had called about prices/purchasing, and they are not for sale. Apparently someone/group is looking at buying all of them. I am guessing they want to buy and then rent them. I found this both interesting, but also mildly alarming as this takes even more stock out of the purchase market. I thought this was interesting, and this bunch is probably the only folks I know that would too. (and Lynwood Brewing Concern/Wilsons was a fantastic way to spend an afternoon)

4 Likes

1712 Carson Street is currently being demolished. I found permits for the demolition, but don’t see anything proposed for whatever is going to replace it.

https://raleighnc-energovpub.tylerhost.net/apps/selfservice#/permit/a232fb2c-6d2a-4336-8d1d-96bb157508ba

1 Like

A SFH? Gonna guess they’re replacing it with… an even bigger, more expensive SFH :face_with_spiral_eyes: :unamused: