ITB New Home Builds

214 E. Cabarrus (south side behind Tupper Baptist church).

Steel frame construction (from Nov.) for this 3-story home now enclosed. Has an older storefront vibe to it.

18 Likes

I’m not sure why but the fit pit makes me a little cranky (not really, but kinda)… very rustic tree stump stools and rough hewn log bench placed neatly in a contained crushed gravel pit surrounding a $500 fancy fire pit. :crazy_face:

This firepit does SUCK hahahaha

1 Like

8 townhomes for 333 Wade Ave (really Dale St at corner with Filmore)

19 Likes

Looks like this guy will finally get some neighbors who don’t haul concrete.

6 Likes

I always chuckle at that house. Pretty neat design, but wow must it be noisy.

3 Likes

I couldn’t possibly think of a worse location to build your dream modernist home LMAO

2 Likes

ABC11 did an article about it several years ago, His Dad was a local architect who used some creative design work to make it livable. If I remember correctly he purchased the lot for something insanely cheap.

7 Likes

Anyone know the status of the Williamson Dr. townhomes?

1 Like

Looks like it’s going to court. There was a write up about it on TBJ today. Interesting situation, when you consider that the missing middle is for more affordable options inside the city limits, so people can afford to stay in Raleigh. However these townhomes are far from affordable. From what I remember they’re going to start around $2 million. Either way it’ll be interesting to see if the privileged Hayes Barton elitist can get their way.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve read a couple of stories about the lawsuit. The thing is, missing middle is also about density. Not that the owners in HB are going to start riding the bus, but if ESC/Old Rex is developed in some way that includes some retail, then a few of them might park the Benz and walk to the wine shop or new Ace. I jog thru the neighborhood and it is a pretty and unique area, and I don’t want to see what little character Raleigh has disappear, but the area can evolve. It’s just unrealistic for these folks to think nothing will ever change.

13 Likes

HB wants to have their cake and eat it too. They bought into a neighborhood that has no governance. The only thing “protecting it” was archaic zoning laws that have strongly needed to be reconsidered for decades.

If you don’t have governance and no one buys into governance (an HOA) then you don’t have any legs to stand on. You can’t tell people what to do with their property as long as it complies with those zoning laws and legalities (including when they change).

It’s pretty clear that HB is trying to stop the first domino from falling here. If they don’t stop this from being developed, then the overall value of their land goes up (because townhomes and tiny homes can be developed on them). Then their neighbors will get dollar signs in their eyes and sell for more townhomes to be built.

And to that, I say that they knew what they signed up for. You don’t get to tell your neighbors what they can or can’t do with their property as long as it follows the existing laws (including ordinance changes).

11 Likes

It’s a lot like any conversation about Five Points proper - it could be so much nicer without that intersection being an ocean of concrete in the middle of it, but the fear of change is so high that there’s a kneejerk “NO” to the idea of making it more pleasant.

Also, I was talking to a local. Apparently the house in the middle of the controversy is in pretty bad shape. It’s going to need a TON of work to be livable. If they want that plot of land to stay the same, the current owner’s going to have to sell it for like $10 because the people who buy it need to dump money into fixing it up.

7 Likes

A 4,000 sq ft house in HB recently sold for over a million and it’s been torn down so that a house about double its size can be built, so I think the current owner of the Williamson house would get a good price for the spot. Someone could buy it and build another jumbo or someone could buy it and build 4 semi-jumbos. And I have a feeling the neighbors would be less likely to oppose that.

4 Likes

This is the most “dog ate my homework” claim. Half of the plaintiff group are on record as having no idea about the missing middle changes because they just plum weren’t paying attention. And now their claim is that this should have been pushed through the MM as a map change?

That makes no sense and really illustrates how narrowly they view zoning. It applies across the entire goddamn city, do they expect the city to carpet bomb every SFH parcel with rezoning signs because these Trust Fund Karen’s are too busy to read the paper? These people are scum

7 Likes

What made me laugh, if i interpeted correctly, was that they would like to be compensated for the detrimental effects (traffic, etc.) if developer is allowed to proceed. So yeah, lets make that a new part if the development process… bahahahaha.

The land was sold to a LLC for 3.7 and is 2.4 acres while most the lots in the area are less than 1/2 acre. It could easily be split for 3 Mcmansions. I saw the proposed 17 TH layout and I liked it. Large common area. The old Broughton home on White is now 4 lots.

2 Likes

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Zoning and Density

Welcome to my neighborhood. Empty lot up for sale,

$449,000.00. For less than 1/4 acre. For my greedy self I hope they get it.

Raleigh’s Rainbow Row or Painted Ladies? I like the Seafoam one :sunglasses:

23 Likes