Lost Raleigh (Looking to the Past)

We look forward all the time but sometimes it’s good to see where we came from. Let’s talk about things that Raleigh had and why they are gone today. Photos are great but I’m hoping folks can tell a story around what was lost and why.

I am going to save some time and suggest you check this out…

1 Like

Do you have a good photo of the former tower? I never saw it but long-time downtown fans hate FCB after demolishing it and leaving it for a parking lot. (I’d join that team too)

We could maybe start a Lost Raleigh thread with that one.

10 Likes

sorry I do not have a pic, but I do recall it was a nice, guess 1920’s building.

Was this it?
Goodnight Raleigh | a look at the art, architecture, history, and people of the city at night

4 Likes

Like a nicer version of these buildings that are still standing.

1 Like

I may have one on another device. I will check once home and get back to the group. I would love to start a new thread and thank you!

1 Like

yes, more information on it.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/102849/commercial-national-bank-building-raleigh-nc-usa

this site says was finished in 1913.

1 Like

Watch it come down…

4 Likes

I remember that day, as I watched in horror…I actually loved the building!
And no, it does me no good to say, “well, at least they saved the gargoyles”

3 Likes

I actually watched it come down also. It was when I first moved to the Raleigh area and I was then living off of Lane St near the Governor’s mansion.

1 Like

What a shame! They seriously couldent find a single vacant lot? Not like there’s enough parking lots downtown!

1 Like

What’s there now? A parking lot?

1 Like

It’s the PNC building although it was a parking lot for many years before that was built.

5 Likes

Guess I’m on the Anti-FCB team.

3 Likes

I thoughts is at being FCB is family controlled, in that they own enough of the stock to pass or block anything they want, they think is more important to have a profitable and expanding bank than a big downtown building with the bank names on top. Seems I recall reading a few years ago that FCB was most profitable back in SE. ie, highest return on equity.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/239658/first-citizens-bank-building-raleigh-nc-usa

This link said proposed building was 30 stories At 406ft. looking for picture.

Old TBJ article from 1998: "The bank considered a high-rise office building in downtown Raleigh, but decided against it because of the soft real estate market there, "

found this picture of proposed building on a post on another site.

um kind of looks like something from a batman movie in my opinion :grin:.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is Family Owned. one of my friends works there, Even knows the Current President and his Old man (think he’s dead now).

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, It’s publicly traded.

2 Likes

it is but family owns a controlling share of stock.

2 Likes

Great idea for a thread. Does anyone here remember the State Theater and Lawyers Building on Salisbury Street? It stood where the Wake County jail is now. The offices were in front and the theater behind. My Grandfather had an office in the Lawyers Building and my Dad loves to talk about all the stuff he saw as a kid at the theater.

Here’s a nice recollection I found with pictures and some stories.

7 Likes