Moore Square

Which is funny because the North Hills parking decks are so much more annoying to get in and out of than the downtown ones.

10 Likes

It could be that when people say, “I hate parking downtown” that a lot of them really mean parallel parking. Yes, there are many other reasons but I’ve always thought that parallel parking to get into an on-street space is intimidating for most drivers. It’s just something you only really do around here…in downtown Raleigh. :person_shrugging:

9 Likes

If so, it’s a pathetic excuse. We humans have a pretty high capacity to learn new things. Though, if parallel parking is truly a “new thing” for anyone with a driver’s license, I question the rest of their driving skills. I’m not in the camp of feeling a need for marketing downtown/anything towards these kinds of people, as I and @xdavidj (perhaps he more eloquently) are getting at. The folks that are scared to perform a basic parking maneuver in their car are the same people that will be scared of even the sight of (shudders) a homeless person. That’s not what we want more of downtown - that literally just invites more complaints and baseless/false claims.

1 Like

The last thing anyone has ever called me is eloquant hahaha.

But yeah. Completely agree here. There is not a single downtown in this country that has 0 homeless people and 0 crime.

I don’t get how anyone can insinuate that the people providing money to downtowns are the same ones that refuse to go downtown because they saw a single homeless person and felt unsafe.

Let’s make downtown better and more accessible for the people who actually want to be here and spend money here. Not the people that will only come here if it’s a carbon copy of North Hills.

3 Likes

I enjoy going to North Hills and Fenton and don’t for a minute have to “pretend I’m downtown” while being there. They’re great. Downtown has it’s positives too, lots of unique and fun characteristics (crazy homeless bums included HAHA), energy, entertainment, etc… but it sounds kind of “those places in the burbs are not as good as we are downtown” to say what you said. There are a LOT of things that you can only get OTB or in planned retail/lifestyle/entertainment centers of Raleigh and Cary

3 Likes

I don’t exactly enjoy it (they feel like malls, and I don’t like malls), but they certainly have most of the shopping I actually need. I was just at the Fenton Williams Sonoma yesterday getting a knife.

Funny note, my employee had carried over from the Crabtree Valley location - said their nice knives “used to walk out, whether we locked the case or not.”

1 Like

I agree, but also most people are not taught how to parallel park - NC doesn’t even require it as part of your driving test to get your license.

Yeah I loathe parallel parking. When I go downtown I park in a deck, or park next to the Lincoln where there’s always space to pull in.

1 Like

This thread…crime, parking, :shark:…!!!
I personally welcome the day when we get ‘Moore’ shopping things downtown but it STILL seems a looooong ways off for the density needed to have multiples of these stores in the area with the reality of market size / CRE, online shopping, etc…
We should really be honest ---- When folx on here gripe about North Hills / Fenton and the like ( *they also feel more mall than not to me) - I can understand the lament of those things not being downtown and understand the appeal of those places for a certain this or that while acknowledging they have a very different human scale ( drive to, THEN walk around). Hell, some of the same ‘crime / this F’n city is going to hell barkers’ hate North Hills for many of the (parking!!) access issues called out about DTR ( yes, they are ridiculous :upside_down_face:).
To bring it home for the thread - We need Moore residents downtown for more things, better density, which yields walkability then more amenities and Mooore vibrancy…It’s coming. Not fast enough.

3 Likes

Yeah, was thinking we should round this thread back to the topic. :wink:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Residential Demand in DTR

Light it up with led lights in and around the alleyway make it look refreshed.

I know the timing isn’t right but I envision a second kiosk right on this spot here. One kiosk for breakfast and lunch, the other for lunch/dinner/drinks both with fantastic outdoor seating arrangements. Maybe the second one is even full-service.

One can dream.

17 Likes

I would say that’s a better use of the space and good for activation. Perhaps those bland open blocked off areas were done that way as a placeholder for future projects?

I think they were planning on having a much bigger garden, or at least that’s what those small fenced in areas signal to me.

They areas they do garden are pretty well done, they’re just such a small percentage of the available space.

2 Likes