Nash Square Apartments at Dawson/Martin

Something like 420 to 430 feet tall depending how what you consider the bottom of this tower.

That would make it in the top 5 tallest buildings in Raleigh if build alongside the Highline Glenwood tower at the Creamery.

Would be amazing if all 30+ story towers are under construction at the same time. 330 Hargett, Vela Longview, Highline Glenwood, and Nash Square Apartments. Who the hell knows how tall the RUSBUS tower will be so I not considering it here.

17 Likes

I’ll make the skyline look lit in the next few years. I hope they break ground residential towers are the future.

8 Likes

I have high hopes for 330 W Hargett now that its ASR has passed. I also have high hopes for Vela Longview since Vela has places in other cities, it’s more than just a Raleigh thing and they’d probably be less willing to give up.

14 Likes

If Nash Square Apartments does get built its astonishing to note that pre-covid this property would have only been a lowly 10-story hotel, now it’s a 36-story apartment tower and a skyline changer.

21 Likes

It’s great a blessing in disguise I’m so excited.

5 Likes

Raleigh Downtown’s FB page is reporting the Berkley will vacate this location at the end of October

4 Likes

While I think everyone on here agrees it would’ve been preferable to leave the Berkeley alone and just build on the vacant lot, the comments on that Facebook post are just mind-blowing.

“This is what happens when your mayor and city council are all from somewhere else.”

“Highrises make me vomit.”

“Raleigh is drowning in 40 story buildings!” (Despite there not being any)

5 Likes

I think we can all agree our three actual downtown highrises (the last one of which was built 15 years ago) are just too much, this growth is out of control. Look at this picture and tell me we aren’t a couple years away from being Hong Kong West.

7 Likes

I cant believe any one would want to build towers higher than the ones in your picture. Our existing towers are already so close to puncturing the ozone. These YIMBYs just want us all to get skin cancer and die while they stay couped up in their condos with blackout curtains. Im not a NIMBY, I’m a L-MIMBY - Let Me In My BackYard :sunglasses:

1 Like

“Oh the horror, I live downtown but don’t like seeing people. I feel like I’m being attacked by city council and the mayor…”

7 Likes

Why did these people choose us to harbor there NIMBY anti-growth views why did they come here to Raleigh to make this there place for it.

1 Like

If they weren’t bulldozing the Berkeley the backlash would be less. I think that and Goodnight’s are probably gonna hurt the YIMBY cause going forward.

Both were 100 year old buildings next to empty lots that totally could’ve been used without disturbing them so it does reflect poorly on Raleigh’s leadership allowing this.

That said, the people complaining about tall buildings are insane. Especially the one lamenting bulldozing every tree–clearly they are not thinking rationally. The problem is that projects in downtown are highly visible and projects on the edge of town are not. Who cares about a 2000 home subdivision in Wake Forest? Out of sight out of mind. 2000 more cars on Capital Boulevard and 440 are not out of sight at all though and that abstract thinking just doesn’t click with these people.

14 Likes

Yes I’m sure the developer could’ve saved Berkeley cafe, maybe it was for space reasons.

Wake Forest is full. Please build those 2000 homes in Zebulon or Fuquay.

1 Like

My folks live in Wake Forest (we moved there when I was still in high school back in '08 and yes the recession is why we left NY lmao) - insane how much it has exploded even just since then. Feels like a completely different place now; Wake Forest was still extremely quaint and sleepy, almost downright rural when we moved there. Now just 15 years later; night and day.

1 Like

We live in Heritage and apartments are popping up in every available corner all around us. I don’t have any idea how there is that much demand in WF.

1 Like

A lot of it is commuting-based. I work with a lot of people in Raleigh that also live in Wake Forest.

Yea I’m sure but it’s all at once. 3 or 4 large complexes all going up at the same time in lil ol WF.

This had better not get scaled back. We NEED this one to be a winner.

We must all hold hands and channel mana for this.

12 Likes

I’m fine with this one being scaled back if it were to mean the 100 year old Berkley Building is preserved :expressionless:

7 Likes