NCSU Developments

I ordered the t-shirt already.
#whynotus
BTW, I wonder if DJ Horne is making coin off of that slogan since it’s his quote?

3 Likes

Pack Men’s and Women’s Hoops both made the Elite 8 this evening. Awesome!

19 Likes

Go Wolfpack! :tuffy:

That is all, carry on.

13 Likes

33 Likes

Both the men and the women making the Final Four is insane! Go Pack!

25 Likes

And they both won with the same score! (76)
And to think, (getting a little ahead of myself here), they could both win the same year!!

2 Likes

If they both won, that would be amazing. Are there are any precedents for that?

1 Like

Both teams are about to play really great teams:
Women’s Team vs. South Carolina
Men’s Team vs. Purdue

2 Likes

2004 UConn and 2014 UConn. That’s the whole list.

1 Like

In 2017 S. Carolina had both of the Men’s and Women’s team sin the final four. The Women won it all and then men lost the first game.

I’ll pull for the NCState Men’s team. But for the women I need to go with S. Carolina.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5jBYGGu84G/?img_index=1

15 Likes

7-story, 324-unit, 812-bed apartment building at Varsity Dr - Avent Ferry corner across from entrance to Centennial Campus. Seems like some good density to bridge the area between the two campuses. No retail but ground floor and rooftop amenity spaces. Seems close enough to Mission Valley for the retail needs though.

13 Likes

Not the first time a development has been proposed here. Last time it was shot down by the neighborhood.

I think the city and the university underestimate the importance of the Avent Ferry/Varsity intersection as the actual main entrance of centennial campus. Oval Drive & Centennial is like the ceremonial front door but it’s far less important in terms of actual use and the integration of the campus with the city.

This intersection is the place where Centennial Campus meets the city. There is a tremendous amount of foot traffic crossing the street here while school is in session. An enormous number of buses pass through this intersection (five routes across GoRaleigh and Wolfline, adding up to 30 or 40 per hour?) - many of them quite packed! The intersection sits within the densest census tract in the entire city, and the only tract over 10,000 people per square mile!

There’s clearly an opportunity here for a lively transition from the institutional uses on campus to private uses on the outside. This corner should be like the Hillsborough Street of Centennial! Yet the comprehensive plan does not call for retail, and NCSU’s master plan calls for the three corners of the intersection owned by the university to be flanked by trees and single-story semi-industrial “flex space”.

Sigh.

13 Likes

For anyone interested, NC State’s graduation is being streamed on YouTube this morning. May the 4th be with them!
Spring 2024 Commencement (youtube.com)

5 Likes

I love the little tree and flags at the top!

15 Likes
3 Likes

This is a cool new program! Wish it was available when I was in school.

Would be cool if this spurred a downtown building like how UNC Charlotte has with their Center City building that could even house some Design School and Economics School spaces? Imagine a rooftop space for University fundraiser / functions as well. Could partner with Shaw or Wake Tech for some of the space too?

There’s even this lot owned by the State (and still on Hillsborough Street) that would fit that UNCC building exactly.

13 Likes

Jeff Bezos’ Earth Fund is giving NC State a $30m grant to start the Bezos Center for Sustainable Protein. The focus is on making a biomanufacturing hub for dietary proteins that are environmentally friendly, healthy and affordable.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2024/05/31/ncstate-bezos-earth-fund-grant-sustainable-protein.html

8 Likes

Bugs, it’s gonna be bugs.

6 Likes

Crickets, ants, etc - that I can do.
Just don’t make me eat beondegi. Never again.

3 Likes