Olde East Neighborhood

I’d think that for 2M, a buyer would want more input than just final finishes. I’d want to dictate more of the floorplan. As you know, I don’t always agree with you, but in this case no garage seems like a fatal mistake vis-a-vis the actual market for a 2M house.

3 Likes

The modern house at the end of Cabarrus st still for sale. No garage there either. Big ask for that location. Word is that builder is going to make it an AirBnB if it does not sell within 90 days. Interesting to see how it pans out.

1 Like

721 E Lenoir
0.21 ac
being subdivided into 6 lots for townhomes

8 Likes

I’m assuming the front doors will face Montague, says the new owners are High East LLC. Lot’s of new townhomes and duplexes going up lately. Do you have the plans? I couldn’t find them.

1 Like

Just the subdivision application submitted to the city at this point. Received today, looks to be uploaded maybe next Tuesday.

3 Likes

5 townhomes and 1 “amenity” lot.

Seems like some good infill.

11 Likes

Nice, looks like 1 driveway will exit onto Lenoir with the remaining on Montague. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of these townhomes built in the near future.

5 Likes

Does anyone think it would be feasible to get the same yield without Montague along the side? There are plenty of large lots in the neighborhood but they tend to be deeper.

Oh yawn, another small townhouse project. Where oh where is the BRT supporting density that we really need?

1 Like

I understand the frustration, but dunking on developments that turn SFHs into 5 residences doesn’t seem like the way to accomplish what you’re after. Townhouse based neighborhoods are great! They’re the majority of older denser cities we all like.

5 Likes

What’s happening on the east side of downtown is not leading us to mimicking those cities. For every small townhouse project we also get million dollar+ single family homes replacing small affordable homes. I say yawn because I still haven’t seen the sort of purposeful developments that will enable the BRT. I fear that we are going to get that system operational and then nobody is going to be riding it.
If the east side wasn’t targeted for transit first, then yes let’s build in a dense car dependent model, raise our tax base and bring more people into our current city infrastructure. Best of all, we add to our population without sprawling like is happening all around us in Wake County. However, let’s not pretend that this sort of development is the key the transit oriented future that many of us would like to see. For that to happen, we’d need most of the SFHs to be wiped and replaced by blocks and blocks and blocks of contiguous urban townhouses built behind dense mixed use major corridors like New Bern Ave and Poole Rd.

2 Likes

I have to disagree, of all the SFH neighborhoods immediately adjacent to downtown, the eastside is adding significantly more density than Boylan heights, oakwood, or southpark.

For every $1M home your refering to 5 more townhome or duplex projects get announced. Plus of all the new $1M SFH new builds in the 27601 zip code only 1 replaced an existing home and they lived alone. 3 currently for sale were empty lots.

This specific lot is less than 1/4 acre big and they were able to jam 5 townhomes on this lot, that don’t even appear to have room for a back patio, I’m not sure what more could be placed here. But the biggest thing about this lot is it’s location. It’s almost .8 of a mile to the nearest BRT pick up location, but less than .7 to the middle of downtown. I wouldn’t hold my breathe on this location being a big draw for BRT ridership, regardless if it’s 200 apartments, they would just walk downtown.

7 Likes

You are welcome to disagree but let me explain what I am talking about here.

IMO, a fair comparison compares the full east side to the the full west side. The west side is mostly building midrise and highrise housing with hundreds of units while the east side is mostly building 5-10 unit luxury townhouses. You can certainly carve out specific historic neighborhoods and compare them (like Oakwood to Boylan Heights), but by broader comparison, it’s currently no comparison.
Yes the actual downtown proper extends further west than east of the Capitol, but there is also much more housing density happening in places like the Village District and along Hillsborough (thanks to NC State) than there is going east.

1 Like

Power pedestal and footing work on the 4 townhouse project at Davie and Alston. Will have a big impact if still being constructed as planned

10 Likes

I was wondering what was planned here, that’s good news, this has been sitting vacant more than 5 years too.

I heard recently that the city does not intend to pursue development on the vacant parcel at 712 E Martin due to large stormwater upgrades that were made. Perhaps prior to the upgrades, it may have been slated for an affordable house through the Martin-Haywood program. I suspect the inaction is due to a lack of creativity rather than an actual barrier to construction.

Got me thinking about how it could be put to better use. I realized 712 abuts RHA property to the south. The RHA owned lot is bloated with parking that is not heavily used because it is less convenient than street parking. If you recombine the two you have a pretty unique mid block thoroughfare that could have a number of neighborhood-scale uses.

I used Solidworks (because I hate myself) to recreate the block and imagine a mixed-use alley. The massing is just for reference - I am picturing something like City Market in texture and scale (no cobbles though lol)

22 Likes

This is a super awesome idea. CC @JonathanMelton

2 Likes

The 10 townhomes on Bloodworth and Cabarrus just released renderings. The website says all of them will have solar panels.

21 Likes

More Seafoam ‘moments’…definitely that new vibe out there…
And, PV arbors!..Why is this not more of a thing here in NC ???$?

2 Likes

Not sure everyone will find those conventionally attractive but I think they’re super cool. Definitely very unique. I like em.

2 Likes