Olde East Neighborhood

Not a huge fan of the end treatments as they could have a bit more going on/activate Cabarrus a bit better, but I would tend to agree. Modern dingbat style.

1 Like

Honestly think these are some of the best designed/coolest looking townhomes to come in recent memory…

3 Likes

These seem really narrow to me in person. But what’s hilarious is how the mockups don’t reflect existing spaces. For instance, Carlton Place Apartments is north of the frontage but there’s a house in the rendering.

Another set of 10 townhouses. Who could have imagined such a thing? I’ll hold my excitement for more substantial developments. :grumpy_cat: I’ll go ahead and give myself a grumpy cat.

2 Likes

If you want to feel like a New York or a Boston or a Chicago, you need rows and rows of townhouses. They’re the basic unit of dwelling, so naturally you’ll get a lot more of them than exciting skyscrapers.

2 Likes

I sense sarcasm? Characters

There’s some but it’s not all sarcastic. I am truly finding it difficult to get excited about yet another 10 unit townhouse project so close to the very center of the city. I’d like to see more housing than that when it’s just 3 blocks or so from the very center of the city’s biz district.

1 Like

Out here in Apex and Holly Springs they’re going big with townhouse only developments. These are just two I drive around a lot but there’s a couple other ones. This big one off 55 in Holly Springs and this one across from the big new Pleasant Park in Apex.

Just seeing these; they look great. I really like the multifamily projects Raleigh Architecture co.'s put out.
Chappell is as cheesy/cringe as always with the marketing.

The density of new developments in Western Wake is real. Dismissed on this forum as boring suburbia. The gentle density of Apex, west Cary, Holly Springs, Morrisville is undeniably popular.

Its fine. It is still undeniably suburbia. The fact the houses touch each other doesn’t change that you have to drive to everything.

9 Likes

95% of Raleigh you can’t walk to anything either. Might as well build dense townhouse developments to make housing slightly more affordable. Still going to need a car to work and live in the Triangle. Too many dispersed employment centers.

This community is not about those parts of Raleigh. This community is about downtown.

16 Likes

I think urban issues in Raleigh in general are on topic. Most of the dense urban infill Raleigh will get will be in spokes… Hillsborough/Oberlin, Centennial, Park City South, Downtown South, Iron District, Midtown Exchange, North Hills–sure some of it is flawed ‘lifestyle center’ pseudo urbanism but it’s a start.

Downtown is only a 50th of Raleigh’s residential population. Even with everything new getting built the effect will be adding several thousand out of a city of 450,000. Barely will move the needle. The combined effect of these other projects outside downtown in the ‘nodes’ will lay the groundwork for bringing urban living to a much larger chunk of the city’s population.

11 Likes

Don’t be a forum NIMBY, inclusiveness for all!

ooooooo…you got me. I’ll notify Leo to change the name of the DTRaleigh Community to be more inclusive.

2 Likes

I’m going to swing this topic back on track with a response to @John

I agree with you but the current plans, east side, right now have the density dramatically being reduced as you go east. You have Olde East, Prince Hall, and just the long time plans around encouraging growth to the west side, not the east, as means of slowing down gentrification. I actually think the east side hasn’t gentrified as fast as it could have so I THINK it worked but eventually, it’ll all flip.

Is that right? Who knows but the city certainly has considered the neighborhoods to the east as needing less density and this is what we get as a result I think.

2 Likes

I think everyone is forgetting the rezoning fight this lot encountered. Unless I’m mistaken they originally tried for 6 stories, after several back and forth with the neighbors and city they were forced to relocate the two homes on the property completely intact to another city owned lot. So they could continue their civil service of being affordable housing. I can only image how much this actually cost the developers. This is literally the best scenario allowed.

Remember the city just denied rezoning approval for the Smokey hollow area with all the added benefits the city would get in return, over a handful of loud neighbors. Your disapproval is warranted, it’s just aimed at the wrong culprit. The city gets the requests for density through rezoning, but uses the neighbors as scapegoats.

3 Likes

IMO, if you can easily walk (as in the case of this example) to downtown proper or to a BRT station, the density needs to be more than just townhouses. This is especially true since all of these townhouses are expensive and are probably not going to be big BRT riders.
There has been, and continues to be, a lot of SFH and townhouse redevelopment going on in the New Bern Ave. BRT corridor.

4 Likes

I think its fine having nodes of density on the East side like Shaw, Moore Square East block, New Bern old DMV and around BRT stations and then with townhome infill. These 10 townhomes aren’t really near the BRT - maybe the south line?