Olde East Neighborhood

But they are 3 blocks from the core of the business district. I’d like to see more density where folks can walk to the central business district as well.
As a comparison, there’s way more housing density in Glenwood South and it’s much further away from the central business district.

2 Likes

Glenwood is a business district spine. Density stops within 2 blocks to the west.

There’s less SFH ownership to complain and effect the rezoning. Look what happened to the one rezoning in that area in view of the SFHs up Glenwood.

We need to focus our attention on the individuals who talk out of both sides of their mouth (the city). Because we’re getting the proposals for more density, they’re getting denied.

I hate to admit this, but the rezoning around New Bern ave and the BRT will be denied. The writing is on the wall

I think that it’s a huge stretch to call Glenwood South a business district. It’s more of a hospitality district with some retail and a tiny amount of business.

I’m talkin urban form / density. Glenwood functions the same as Wilmington.

It emerged that way over the last 20 or so years. When I first bought at the Cotton Mill back in the mid 90s, there was essentially nothing going on in the district. It was created over years of incremental investment. For context, 510 Glenwood has only been there since 2000.

Looks like some movement again on this site I believe is supposed to be SF-rental? Seems like that use would be a shame.

12 Likes

A new duplex on Alston Street.

27 Likes

Possible project at 707/ 709 E Lenoir (across from Ligon). Good Work Architects is one of the contacts. next block over from the 5 townhomes planned at 721 E Lenoir.

12 Likes

Do you have a link to the plans? I couldn’t find them on the city’s site.

This is interesting because I was told next door 717 E. Lenoir had similar aspirations for their lot, which was just purchased by Grayson Homes LLC. but the lot seems too small. This lot is still owned by the same family since 2019, so I wonder if this address is a typo?

12 unit apartment building would basically maximize this lot.

Its just a sketch plan review - no public plans. Real prelim sit down with city planning staff. Everything matches here, so doesn’t appear to be a typo. https://raleighnc-energovpub.tylerhost.net/apps/selfservice#/plan/7038566b-ee16-495b-bc4e-325007a735f2

2 Likes

Some photos of Idyle under construction.

17 Likes

For those like me that need a reminder: https://www.idyleraleigh.com/

7 Likes

These are coming along pretty slow at Cabarrus and S. Bloodworth. Think it’s been a year since they hauled off the old houses and dug the hole. This is five condos with foundations, but they haven’t poured the five on the other side and are using that area for staging.

16 Likes

I’ve been posting updates to this on the New Bern thread but I think this one is more appropriate.

Hargett St Laundromat interior is now completely refinished. Someone with an eye for retail interiors tell me if this is geared toward any particular use. Doesn’t scream “bodega” to me unfortunately… Pretty small anyways I suppose.

There seems to be three interior rooms. Dunno. One or two could be bathrooms?

7 Likes

Update on Idyle

15 Likes

Not sure if this is the right neighborhood/forum - does anyone know what’s going in on MLK Blvd near the Memorial Park? Can’t tell if it’s offices/retail but it’s pretty far along - does look like it has a drive-thru on one end so maybe bank/dry cleaner?

According to iMaps its a 7000sqft 1 story kidney doctor’s office

I should be disappointed by it not being something more interesting…but I get kidney stones so I still consider this a win

The first five of the Idyle (the units that are actually being built right now) are now listed for sale. Each unit is listed at ~$1.4M :open_mouth:

I wonder if they’re waiting to start the second half of the units until they’ve gauged how well the first half will sell?