Olde East Neighborhood

One of the buildings on city plaza would be perfect for this.

5 Likes

I think it would do really well, and offer an affordable option to late night food in downtown. Although I would probably force them to start using less foam in that location because I can imagine the litter from a bunch of drunk cookout sessions

2 Likes

Iā€™m a Char-Grill kind of kind of guy, which is already walk-up only. Just sayingā€¦

3 Likes

For what CookOut spends in land and a small building to serve an auto-dependent customer base, Iā€™d think that thereā€™s two parts to this equation. First, thereā€™s the financials for the operation itself. Would a lease in an urban footprint be a comparable expenditure to their suburban locations, and would they get enough walk up business for both daytime and evenings? Iā€™d think that theyā€™d want to find a location where they could get the best of both workers in the daytime and residents at night and weekends. I know that if one was near me, Iā€™d walk there for sure and probably get a lot fatter!

1 Like

The notion of a walk up only cookout sounds a lot like Char Grill?

4 Likes

Well, the model of a walk up fast food joint isnā€™t anything new, and CharGrill and CookOut already have that in common. They are both places that were designed to drive to, and they can both accommodate walk-up customers. The only difference in the model is that CookOut has a drive-thru.
What we are talking about is the idea of taking away the ā€œdrive-toā€ part of the business.

An interesting place to test this sort of model would be in a food hall, or in an area with an already busy area/district of possible customers. Maybe Smokey Hollow would work? There will be an office building there. There will be lots of residents there. There will be a grocer next door, and there will be other retail parcels to fill. All of these places can provide customers. To be sure, CharGrill can do the same thing. Both of these businesses should consider options other than a drive-to model.

3 Likes

Phase 2 of Kaneā€™s Smokey Hollow project would be prefect for this with the walkthrough courtyard area between the commercial building (Harrington side) and apartments (West side). Captive consumers for lunch, dinner and late night (Glenwood crowd).

7 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s what I had in mind. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Trying not to reveal the trashy portion of my nature too much, but at char grill you canā€™t get a double cheeseburger with Cajun fries, a quesadilla, and one of 20+ milk shake flavors for $5-$6 lol

10 Likes

The only part of that order that my stomach would let me eat is the burger :hamburger: and even that would have to be well doneā€¦Lol :wink::blush:

1 Like

We got a CookOut here out in the backwoods of Alabama and its packed, though a lot of folks compare it to carnival/fair food. Man do I miss Char Grill. Those milk shakes are like a meal in and of themselves.

3 Likes

Welcome to Raleigh food scene.

1 Like

Whatever Bench Warmers uses to bind the seasoning to their bagels is full of sugar. Its really disappointing.

Its not Downtown but Angieā€™s in Garner is where my wife and I go for cheap breakfast.

2 Likes

I personally havenā€™t felt that they were overly sweet, but everyone has there own palette. Most traditional bagels donā€™t use anything to adhere seasonings to the dough, but they will use honey in the boil before they bake them which will give them enough tackiness to have things adhere. I overheard that they do use honey when someone asked if the bagels were vegan.

Angieā€™s is amazing! Love to go for breakfast and lunch.

1 Like

A NY Times article focused on gentrification with our South Park neighborhood the
center point of the discussion. The Transfer food haul also mentioned.

Thereā€™s an entire thread about this article on the community if you want to check it out.

Yeah when I first moved to East Downtown Raleigh the first thing I said was, ā€˜Well, there goes the neighborhood.ā€™

Haha.

Any convo about the article here will be moved to there.