Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Nice! When I went by on Saturday they appeared to be starting setup of a new crane or two

William-Sonoma is already gone. Left for Fenton. I was in Crabtree yesterday, pack with people and storefronts all full. Looked a lot better than my spring visit

6 Likes

They must be starting construction on the ā€œSt. Albans Loftsā€:

(From the NHID website: Residential ā€” North Hills Innovation District (NHID))

8 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed that a lot of people on this forum seem to wish death upon Crabtree because of their preconceived notions about shopping centers and enclosed malls, but tbh, Crabtree is pretty packed every time I go. Think whatever you want about malls and the car-centric aspect of it all, but Iā€™m extremely happy to see Crabtree thriving in 2023, especially when most malls around the country canā€™t say the same. Crabtree wonā€™t be going anywhere for a long time.

15 Likes

After shopping at Crabtree for 50 yrs or so, I think its looking pretty good.

7 Likes

There are countless malls around the world that are successful (mainly Asia) and I believe that as long as the immediate area around Crabtree continues to densify, the mall will be popular. I may be wrong but thatā€™s my opinion.

5 Likes

The mall definitely is keeping up. No doubts about that from me. I can see high end shops opening up given the Tag Heuer, Coach, and other stores that Iā€™ve seen at high end locations (think Hudson Yards or similar). H&M isnā€™t high end per se, but I do see them typically in higher end shopping areas.

Whatā€™s in the Williams-Sonoma now?

Iā€™m a fan of Crabtree. Itā€™s actually one of the only/few shopping centers thatā€™s directly along the Greenway. It has raised crossings for pedestrians in some parts which is pretty unique for Raleigh. Itā€™s also the largest shopping area in Raleigh where you can walk without having to deal with cars except for the parking deck. Even then, the traffic speeds are quite low compared to the majority of Raleigh. The walkability to the surrounding apartments/hotels could be improved a lot but that would fall on the city I believe.

CityNerd did a video against malls or lifestyle centers. I have no problems with malls or the centers. I also live nearby and walk over often to grab something from the food court. I enjoy not dealing with the traffic.

4 Likes

If have gripes with the Crabtree Madewell. They donā€™t carry any Madewell for men. They do carry it at the Fenton and Southpoint locations

Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™ve never liked malls. Didnā€™t grow up near one so I donā€™t have any nostalgia attached, donā€™t like spending all that time inside, and they always seem to smell like stale fried food.

At least North Hills is outside and has some residential integrated with it, much as driving to it and parking are a pain.

2 Likes

Crabtree is pretty great as far as non-car accessibility goes. In high school weā€™d ride our bikes there without ever having to leave the greenway once we got on it. Took like an hour, but it was still doable :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think itā€™s important to realize that itā€™s good to have a variety of shopping malls & experiences in our city - both enclosed/indoor (Crabtree) and outdoor (North Hills). We all have our preferences of course, but having successful examples of both of these will only encourage more desirable retail spots to setup shop here. Not every company wants to be (or will be compatible with the tenant mix) in North Hills, and vice versa.

5 Likes

North Hills is fine, but itā€™s definitely a different experience than Crabtree. I just as likely to go to neither, but in general I use NH more for restaurants and Crabtree more for shopping. And Iā€™d rather have to go to Crabtree than NH on a random weekend.

2 Likes

This pretty much sums up my experience with both as well. If I have serious shopping to do, Iā€™m most likely going to Crabtree without a thought. If I want to take my girl out on a fun date with various experiences in walking distance (restaurants, entertainment, drinks, etc.) then North Hills. Shopping is usually an afterthought for me when I visit North Hills. I enjoy both places though for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah. I live 5 minutes away from NH by car, and I still go to Crabtree for clothes shopping. I generally donā€™t spend $300 for a button down shirt or pair of pants. NH is pretty much all about the restaurants for me.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been to a half a dozen malls here in Poland. Our shopping malls and shopping zones look so haggard in comparison. The malls in Poland are always packed with people and the shops are decent too. I even visit them a few times when I donā€™t really bother in Raleigh.

Crabtree really needs a refresh or demo and rebuild.

In fairness, when crabtree opened, Poland was a workers paradise, so shopping did not exist. Crabtree definately needs to do something with the old sears.

1 Like

I liked the Kane tower render :frowning:

3 Likes

I feel like a mixed-use hotel/residential building would do well here. The hotel could be 5 stories and 15 floors could be for apartments.

2 Likes

Never mind that you are purchasing in Zloty and every price marked is really 1/4 the price in USD!. I agree that the malls in Poland are nice. Whatā€™s even nicer is that you can often arrive to them on foot, by bike, or by transit. They arenā€™t swimming in a sea of cars.

2 Likes

Nieman Marcus could arrive there or Bloomingdaleā€™s perfect space for them.

1 Like