Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

This building is strikingly tall from the parking lot, and very silvery on a rainy day.

19 Likes

Selfie!

The Meridian

Some new (to me) cranes. Not sure what project this is. More residential?

40 Likes

Does anyone know when The Exchange developers are going to start building the residential buildings? It’s almost been 2 1/2 years now.

2 Likes

I’m not sure, haven’t heard anything in quite a while. This is the last rendering I saw but it’s been a few years like you mentioned.

22 Likes

Saw online that Ruth’s Chris is opening back up in February in North Hills. I guess that’s nice, for people who like that kind of thing. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’ve always wondered what happened that made Chris become Ruth’s property. A little sus if you ask me.

4 Likes

Chris’s Steakhouse opened in the 20s in New Orleans, and at one point in the 60s was purchased by a woman named Ruth. The building ended up burning down, and she had a new space nearby she had already bought for event space. It made sense for her to just reopen the restaurant there instead, but she was contractually banned from using the name in any other location. So she just called it Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, even though she didn’t like the name, and the rest is history.

Oh wait, you were kidding, weren’t you?
:laughing:

7 Likes

Thanks for the enlightenment. I’ve always thought it was a weird name, and now we know the history!

1 Like

And if you want to know the important history of Piggy Wiggly in the grocery industry, just let me know. It’s one of my favorite topics!

1 Like

A really dumb story for a super dumb name, wow :rofl: :rofl:

Congrats to Leo on his new restaurant in North Hills!

18 Likes

A true renessiance man, how does he find the hours in the day!!

2 Likes

Brahmin is coming to Raleigh a luxury store we’re getting closer to Gucci.

2 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/12/08/luxury-handbag-designer-opening-in-crabtree.amp.html

Yep, I guess they do believe the techies like boujee things.

Looks like the powers that be intend to rezone the entirety of RTP in an effort to achieve a ‘15-minute city’ concept (and a big social district!):

https://amp.newsobserver.com/news/business/article282682053.html

Quite honestly I’m surprised by this but wow is that good news. There’s probably no better place on the East Coast for infill development. I like their thinking around focusing on various nodes like HUB and then expanding outward. Need that new RTC + train station!

I’m going to email some of the names mentioned in the article and express my support.

16 Likes

Yes a commuter rail would connect this heavily their’s a lot of potential for this area, Connecting social and party and entertainment hubs of Downtown Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill with rail plus would hlp. Also during rush hour this would be a great connecting point, I still envision a tram or a connecting line to the airport in fact I think an airport line could start at RTP. GoTriangle could base their airport line there with the train station with connections to PNC, and Downtown.

1 Like

North Hills rezoning would bring 20-story towers across the Beltline (wral.com)

“I don’t know what the future’s going to be other than people will probably move further away because of the traffic congestion in this area,” Helfant said.

We already did :v: , and it’s been a fantastic move downtown away from the traffic.

13 Likes

20 is not evening tall enough

3 Likes

“No one ever goes there anymore; it’s always too crowded…” :grin:

4 Likes

WRAL just sucks, straight up.

2 Likes