Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Cartman was told that there would be punch and pie!

1 Like

More details from Cary’s mayor

Cary Community Sports and Recreation Center: $560 million with $75 million from Wake County

• Community Center
  • Senior Center
  • Flexible Competitive Space for multiple sports options (e.g., 10 basketball courts)
  • A 4000-seat arena
  • Structured parking

May be part of a parks bond on Cary’s ballot as early as this fall, along with a greenway connecting Fenton to South Hills (and a future connection via Buck Jones Road and additional Raleigh-proposed trails to Lake Johnson).

6 Likes

Sounds like they don’t have an appetite for the full $560m build out all at once. The arena is the first element that they are cutting from the initial scope, although it is still planned to be built as a future phase.

1 Like

Considering it looks like they are planning to build it tightly around a basketball court, I can’t imagine that that. Plus the canes plan to build their own smaller arena on PNC site

What other arena the MLB stadium?

You’re saying this could be a bond this year.

yeah, the mayor of Cary specifically said on his blog on that post about the staff retreat, that they’ll be 2 phases, and IF phase 2 gets funded, THEN there would be a huge arena there for travel sports teams and e-sports/gaming. They have Populous as the design firm, so they’re not messing around.
Untitled
The phase 2 arena is the big glowing pink blob in the photo. Please God have someone tear down the Motel 6 which is on land not included in plans to redevelop. That Motel 6 section of South Hills is like Cary’s very own New Bern Avenue in Raleigh. Yikes.

4 Likes

Hi all! New user here who has been lurking for awhile.

I did a quick search and didn’t see much discussion about the Midtown-St. Albans Area Plan. This seemed like the most relevant thread.

I moved to Raleigh last year and live in this area, and this plan addresses a lot of the issues I have with it. With this plan still being in the “Planning” phase, I’m curious how often concessions are made. What’s the likelihood that this plan is fully realized?

8 Likes

Although a lot of staff time and resources go into these (adopted) reports, they are guidelines for our elected officials. One election can change the philosophy of the council, and therefore their willingness to go forward on these projects can turn abruptly. Learn the candidates and their growth policy philosophy and vote accordingly.

3 Likes

Finally opening for those who care

10 Likes

Not the greatest photos, but went out for a walk/run and went up to Glenwood Place today. Napa Bistro & Wine Bar was advertised to be coming. There is also a new coffee place called the “Quarter Note”. I believe there’s still 3 retail places that are open (including the now vacant Sost space). Not really sure what stores/restaurants/cafes would go in there.

I will call out the huge sidewalk on the west side of the street. Overall the center of the area is kind of a nice place to sit and look at the lighting sculptures. I’ve posted other pictures about this place, but it has been a bit since I’ve ended up this way.

13 Likes

Truly no idea who is going to these businesses. They’re so hidden from Glenwood and the whole development is so bland, disconnected and uninviting, unlike… any other development similar to this. I don’t know, they’re going to need to do a lot of work to make it at least appear to be an extension of the urban grid that is open to the public and full of businesses the public can patronize. As it stands, it literally just looks like a suburban office park when driving by on Glenwood (and I drive past it every morning and every evening to/from work).

4 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2024/05/24/mall-redevelopment-raleigh-durham-retail-apartment.amp.html

2 Likes

Probably taken a month or two ago, given the foliage, but Kane Realty shared this photo recently. It gives a nice perspective of some of the newer buildings, including the Restoration Hardware and its rooftop restaurant.

26 Likes

Someone remind me what is planned for the big ol’ hole in the very foreground of this pic??

1 Like

A 40 story tower to kill all the vegetation in the adjacent NIMBY yards…

9 Likes

I wish they’d go that tall! But if I recall correctly, the 40-story rezones of these plots got voted down because of neighborhood complaining - which also killed the chance for a new fire station and bus depot :upside_down_face: - so I’m just curious if Kane is planning a shorter tower here, or if he’s holding out on hope that he can apply for rezoning again in future… :thinking:

I thought this hole was negotiated and approved for 30-floor zoning. The 40-floor zoning at the gas station corner was pulled cause it wasn’t going to be approved and Kane was going to wait to re-apply for that one? Or maybe that was all together and everything was pulled??

2 Likes

Kane pulled the rezoning before the vote. I’m sure he is waiting to resubmit.

3 Likes

We just have to wait for you know…