Raleigh Bikeshare

2 Likes

Oh we paid back in December but my membership starts this Saturday. They are stretching it to 13 months as a “thank you” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

nice! (plus more characters)

I’ll be in SXSW during launch. :frowning: Heard Austin is a s***show with the scooters at the moment though. Haha.

Just in time for St. Drunkrick’s day!! A bunch of drunk millennials riding the new bikes around downtown from pub to pub! Sounds like spectacular timing…for WakeMed’s ER!!! :smile:

1 Like

I stand corrected. Read the whole twitter thread. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just got an update from staff that it will be 13 stations launched on Saturday with the rest of the 22 throughout the month. :woman_shrugging: 13 > 0 but 22 > 13.

1 Like

I guess I shouldn’t have expected a smooth start but glad the system will be 100% by month’s end. (however, I’ve been duped before and before and before and before) :wink:

2 Likes

I found it funny to read in Jeff Speck’s new book, Walkable City Rules, that “it appears Raleigh, NC, is pioneering electric bikesharing,” or something like that.

Hopefully the system will be worth the wait.

4 Likes

That’s interesting to hear. Raleigh is actually pioneering something that is interesting to Jeff Speck. :+1:t3:

1 Like

From my inbox to yours.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NCRALEIGH/bulletins/2365c4e

Raleigh’s bikeshare program, Citrix Cycle, is going live! Citrix Cycle stations will begin showing up during the week of March 11th, and a number of the stations will go live on Saturday, March 16th. Approximately 100 bikes will be available in the downtown area as part of a soft launch. The full system launch, expected this later this spring, will include 300 bikes across 30 stations.

“Citrix Cycle is a much-anticipated project for the City of Raleigh, and we are excited that Citrix Cycle will soon be open to the public,” said Michael Moore, Raleigh’s Transportation Director. “This soft launch gives us the chance to fine tune operational details that come along with a big project like this, while we’re installing the remaining stations. It’s a great opportunity for everyone to learn about and try out Citrix Cycle right now.”

The stations opening for soft launch include GoRaleigh Station, Hillsborough at Harrington Street, W. South Street, Duke Progress Performing Arts Center, Pace at N. Person Street, Horne at Hillsborough Street, and Glenwood at Tucker. Additional locations will be made available as they are installed.

7 stations. 7.

I am nervous that Michael Moore calls this a “big project.” :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Anyone else concerned about some of the station locations? The Crankarm station is on the street with no bollards and close to the right turn lane (if you can call it that) and given the way people drive here I feel that one low speed car accident will swipe out 5 or more bikes within a year of launch.

Just a minor concern I have.

That’s not a soft launch; that’s an Easter Egg hunt!

4 Likes

They’ve since sent out a correction stating more stations. I count 13. May ribbon cutting so I guess I was right. (sort of)

2 Likes

I wasn’t able to personally ride one this weekend, but I herd really good things.

3 Likes

I went out and grabbed a bike, rode from Fayetteville Street to Seaboard Station. Went pretty well and I think small issues will be ironed out.

When I went up to the station, the screen said it did not have a connection “try again later” message which is disappointing but can be fixed. Still, I had the mobile app and was able to unlock a bike by entering in its number. The station “unclicked” it and I pull out an e-bike.

I’ve never ridden an e-bike before and this was a joy! It really felt like you had help going up hills, even flat ground, so I got to Seaboard without much effort at all.

Now here’s where the system really needs to educate people about, this is a major selling point. Right now, the seaboard station station (ha!) had only 3 docks (very small station) and all 3 were full with bikes. It would seem I had no place to park. However, after I called the help line, I just locked the bike to a nearby pole and that ended my ride. No problem.

The bikes come with a cable lock (they call it the seconday lock) and if a station is full, you lock it nearby. Takes one try to understand how to lock it as you need to slide the lock into place near the front wheel where it would normally lock to a dock but after that makes sense, this gives me peace of mind riding to a station and seeing it full.

There are some issues with the app and website, I’ve reported ALL of these to the help people to see if they can get them fixed. I am 100% into this system and want to see it polished and working well.

9 Likes

Did you have to ride up any steep hills? I rode in Boylan Heights and had issues on some of the sections. I ride my bike all the time, so I don’t think it’s a fitness thing.

Not really. The hills were slight but not steep. I need to try Peace Street to Glenwood and Glenwood from Peace to Morgan for the ultimate test.

2 Likes

I wondered how they would handle the issue of the dock being full at your destination. Good to know they’ve thought of this, and yes - get the word out!

It’s important to explore transportation options (bus, bike share, scooter) when you can be flexible with your time in order to work out the kinks.

I initially thought riding an e-bike would feel like cheating until I got on one and had a big grin show up on my face. They are fun!

1 Like

Talked to a employee of Citrix Cycle yesterday and he said that there will be 30 docks by the end of this year.

3 Likes