Raleigh Bikeshare

I have ridden several different kinds of e-bikes and tried CitrixCycle this past Sunday. The bikes are fun and easy to ride. They have one gear and no ability to adjust the Assist you get from the motor. All other e-bikes I have ridden have had both gears and adjustable assist. Having no choices keeps the CitrixCycle very simple, and seems to cap the top speed at about 15mph. Pedaling casually moved the bike at 9-10mph. These bikes are going to make it simple to move quickly around town with very little effort - no sweat.

3 Likes

I use the bike system in Miami often, and itā€™s a 3 speed, non-chain bike system. When they are fully operational, they are terrific, but the gears slip when they are not properly maintained. It will be interesting to see how these bikes perform over time. I imagine that the electric assist is somewhat like an automatic transition, assisting when itā€™s needed so that you donā€™t need to manually shift the gears. I look forward to riding them in Raleigh!

2 Likes

Giving the Citrix cycles a thorough testing today.
They are pretty cool. Really easy to use. And thereā€™s a corral right next to my house.

4 Likes

Just saw two people riding Citrix bikes on Wade Avenue.

4 Likes

RIP those people. (Additional characters)

9 Likes

I havenā€™t read through all the comments on this topic, however, am I the only one that does not like the Citrix Bikes? I think they take up too much space (ā€œ30 docks by the eoyā€!?) + you have to park them back at a docking station. With the scooters, you could just hop on hop off ANYwhere. Way more convenient. With todays tech and the ability to find one via app, that in my opinion is the way to go. I almost feel like we took an out dated approach with the citrix bikes. Almost as if it were a great idea a few years ago when the city started talking about it, then several years later when it was actually approved, it became dated. Maybe they just need to grow on me, but today Iā€™m not a fan.

I also donā€™t see anyone using them. Everytime I drive by them, I would say 90% are just sitting there in that station. Again, maybe it will just take some time for me to get used to them.

Doesnā€™t have to be a scooter OR bikeshare thing. They both work together. Bikeshare is cheaper and more equitable being that it does not require a smartphone. I see the two checking many different boxes. You find the one that fits your lifestyle.

7 Likes

I use them all the time and I think theyā€™re great. Having the docking stations is a plus because you know where to look for the bikes and it prevents the bikes from being just left everywhere willy-nilly and keeps people from being able to hoard a bike or scooter by just leaving it near their house (or locking it up with their own locks)
Only downside is I wish there were more stations and Iā€™m still not 100% sure what to do when you want to leave a bike at a full station.
The e-assist is amazing and really help you keep up in traffic.

3 Likes

Hear you on length of time to implement but have to LOL pretty hard on the ā€œthey take up too much spaceā€ note. Have you seen cars? They take up lots of space and itā€™s at the determent to our community fabric. These are lovely to see as you walk down the road IMO! Much better than a parked car. Happy to see more mobility options springing up in our city - just wish they would come online (much) faster. Try riding one - theyā€™re so much fun! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I think I read that you check it in on the app near a station and itā€™ll tell you how to lock it up using the cable lock.

Yes, just prop it up near the station and lock it with the cable lock. They call it the ā€œsecondary lockā€ and it took me a few minute to figure out how to do it so being familiar with that part ahead of time is nice. But, like anything, once you know how it works, itā€™s super easy.

3 Likes

Yeah I used the secondary lock to pop into the Cardinal for lunch one time and another time I left a bike at the corral on Hillsborough and Ashe. First time I chained it to a pole second time I put the chain through the spokes. It wasnā€™t really self evident how the secondary lock should work. But so far the issues I have with the system are very minor. I can get from the station at South St and South Saunders to Seaboard in 10 min if I hustle and Iā€™m not all sweaty thanks to the e-assist.

like riding a bikeā€¦

7 Likes

Agreed, itā€™s a sweet ride. I hope they hold up and donā€™t become all ratty like all the scooters have become.

2 Likes

I see a family of 6 rolling down Hillsborough St. on the share bikes. I would call that a success if one wasnā€™t terrified of being run over near one of the roundabouts.

4 Likes

I saw a lot of Citrix cycle activity Saturday night, which was great. Unfortunately, there were several unsupervised youths riding around Blount/Martin at a very busy time after dark, including a teen riding with a much younger child in the bike basket!

If you used the Harrington St. pop-up cycletrack, fill out this survey ASAP:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a big fan of online reviews so I created a Yelp page for Citrix Cycle - leave your feedback here haha: https://www.yelp.com/biz/citrix-cycle-brentwood?osq=Citrix+Cycle

3 Likes

Slightly off topic, but not really. I have been using the Citrix Cycle and it is the bomb! I donā€™t think I need the Rline anymore. Just took it from Fayeteville to Tucker and it was so nice. Went up some hills and the E-Assist does all the work. You can just cruze at 15mph around town.

5 Likes

My wife and I love it too. And cats have been really accommodating. Maybe itā€™s because the bikes are more visible or because the e-assist lets you maintain a decent speed I donā€™t know but Iā€™m looking forward to all of the corrals opening.

2 Likes