Raleigh Bikeshare

I thinks cars and cats are more accommodating of them.

2 Likes

Ribbon cutting for the system is today at 11:30 at Union Station. If a certain meeting ends early, Iā€™ll be down there.

They have activated even more stations in the last few weeks which is great to see.

5 Likes

In case you havenā€™t seen the maintenance trucks.

1 Like

Mobile docking stations! :grin:

Has anyone else noticed that CitrixCycle e-bikes are increasingly not operating properly? I have now had 3 bikes lately where the assist doesnā€™t really engage until you are going about 8mph. Getting these heavy bikes started without e-assist is pretty tough, especially up a hill. I have reported it within the app but have heard nothing back. Is anyone else seeing this problem?

I say I would average using the e-bikes once per week and so far so good, no issues. Not trying to discount your experience, just saying mine has only been positive.

Iā€™ve had to call the help line once only because a station was full and I wanted to make sure my bike was properly unlocked as I locked it nearby and not in a dock.

:man_shrugging:

Having gone through the opening pains of a bike share program years ago in another city, getting the ongoing operations and maintenance right is key. My advise is to communicate, communicate, communicate with the operator so that they know the problems that need to be addressed. If they donā€™t know, they canā€™t fix them.

I also took a bike last week and had no issues. :slight_smile: Agree that communication with the operator is critical to make sure the system performs well over time. Iā€™ve found theyā€™re very receptive to twitter DMā€™s as well.

Iā€™m averaging about 5 trips a week with the Citrix bikes. Iā€™d say 90 percent of the time no issues. 5 percent of the rides I will have a minor issue that the seats wonā€™t stay in itā€™s position. Kind of uncomfortable as it slides down during the ride, but not that bad, and maybe the motivation I need to drop a few pounds. The other 5 percent would be a similar issue to what youā€™ve described. I just report it in the app.

1 Like

Good suggestion. I submitted problem reports via the app. I will try the Twitter DM method.

I personally havenā€™t had any issues so far on my end with any of the e-bikes.

I am glad to hear the eAssist problems I have recently had are not widespread. Thanks for all the responses. CitrixCycle is a great add to our transportation options.

4 Likes

New station being installed at Dix Park on Blair Dr.

9 Likes

Is there a way to recommend station locations? Two that I would have used recently if I could was PNC Arena and Whole Foods on Wade.

2 Likes

Finally!! :+1:t5::grin: would have been nice to have that there in the summer but Iā€™m not complainingā€¦ well I guess I am complaining a little bitā€¦

2 Likes

Cool - thanks for sharing!

1 Like

IMO, they have to be careful here with expansion, and resist the temptation to throw the net wide and far. Get the density of stations right in the core and expand incrementally outward with a dense network of bike stations.
SmoHo will need a station; one needs to be on that new stretch of Johnson St. between phase 1 and 2. The same will be true for Seaboard when itā€™s completed. Instead of just focusing on AH with every project, the city should be thinking of maximizing the experience with each new development, and bike share is one of those things to consider!

4 Likes

Saw this on tomorrowā€™s council agenda, since only council can accept any donations over $50K. Fairly common business practice in other cities, but donā€™t see any history of it happening in Raleigh.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=BSKPQ265A8B0

ā€œLoden Properties has recently redeveloped two properties: The Longleaf Hotel at 300 North Dawson Street, and Gateway Plaza at 2411 Crabtree Boulevard. Loden Properties is interested in purchasing two stations and ten electric-assist bikes from Bewegen Technologies and donating them to the City. The station at the Longleaf Hotel would be installed on Lane Street within the public right-of-way, and the station at Gateway Plaza would be installed on private property.ā€

10 Likes

Gateway Plaza is a bit of a stretch from the existing stations. Is there even safe pathways from there to the other stations downtown? I think the station at Longleaf makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

True - there are other stations like that though (At the NC Art Museum, etc). Itā€™s right off the greenway and also provides a good option for neighborhood folks to pop downtown. Crabtree Boulevard is also getting bollards added to the already buffered lanes so that will be a physically seperated bike lane soon :slight_smile:

12 Likes