Raleigh In The News around the country/world

With our youth / college soccer brand and our college basketball branding I wonder why nobody has tried to make a youth tournament
sports epicenter type development that hosts huge tournaments. Those can bring in 100k people a weekend.

3 Likes

https://www.townofcary.org/projects-initiatives/project-updates/facilities-projects/cary-community-recreation-and-sports-center

Is this what you’re talking about?

It’s supposed to go at Cary Town Center, next to the competitive swimming arena of Triangle Aquatic Center, across the road from WakeMed soccer complex and the cross country course… seems like a pretty decent start, anyway.

Disney’s Wide World of Sports it is not, though…

3 Likes

That is indeed a pretty decent start! Nothing will ever touch Orlando because you can just tell the kids they’re going to Disney :joy:
Volleyball and cheerleading is also surprisingly huge competition wise but I think we already host that at the downtown convention center

1 Like

Don’t forget USA Baseball on the other side of town!

1 Like

This is probably a long shot, but would be a big deal:

https://www.sportsdestinations.com/destinations/north-carolina/news/raleigh-durham-submits-bid-hold-2027-summer-world-20306

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s a longshot at all. The Triangle hosted the US Olympic Festival back in 1987 and it was a huge success. With all of the university and professional resources of the Triangle, I don’t see a problem at all hosting such an event.

5 Likes

About 25 to 30 filming production trailers setup behind the NC State Bar, full of crew and security. Anyone know if something is being filmed in Raleigh atm?

7 Likes

Drove by Union Square and there were stage lights outside on the north side.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Not sure where to drop this nice personal op ed.

3 Likes

I’m sure most don’t care about this type of content however spot all the DTR locations in Safiya’s new youtube video:

5 Likes

That’s a whole of downtown and ITB going on there.

The Unicorn which is the CBS sitcom set in Raleigh has been canceled after two seasons.

https://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/tv/warm-tv-blog/article251536203.html

I hope a streaming service picks up the series for a Season 3; really liked the show.

1 Like

It’s a shame it wasn’t actually filmed in Raleigh.

1 Like

Instead we are getting a movie filmed here that’s supposed to be Tennessee. Go figure?

1 Like

I’ve been watching the US Olympic swimming trials these last three nights, and there are multiple swimmers from Cary, and every time Mike Tirico says “Cary, North Carolina,” which he has done several times now, he always immediately adds “which is just outside of Raleigh.”

You guys, we’ve made it! We are America’s reference point for where Cary is located! (In case anyone was wondering, I haven’t seen any swimmers from Raleigh yet, but we’ve still got five nights left to go.)

18 Likes

Cary honestly may be one of the top youth sports (outside of basketball and football) breeding grounds. So much talent comes from here. They seem to all be attracted to the Cary schools though.

2 Likes

I noticed the same thing! He says it every time!

3 Likes

Cary keeps coming up because that’s where the Triangle Aquatics Center is based, and they have one of the best year-round swim teams around. Other places in North Carolina including Raleigh have Level 4 teams too, though.

(Source: I swam in high school only during the season, and the hardcore swimmers who eventually got scholarships in places like Harvard and Johns Hopkins were always in one of a couple of year-round clubs, including TAC’s.)

5 Likes