Raleigh In The News around the country/world

North Carolina news

9 Likes

Raleigh among best state capital. 2nd over all.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article240362506.html

Raleigh earned top 10 scores in categories of affordability and “economic well-being,”

Raleigh was also among the best cities in the category of health and education,

5 Likes

Ugh. Actually 2nd to CWSNBN.

Not Raleigh specifically as it refers to the entire state but a lot of those people moving into North Carolina do end up in our area. North Carolina ranks 38th (the higher the better) in where people do not want to live as New York and New Jersey are the two worst with people leaving and the population is shrinking. Note that this is a percentage ranking but North Carolina is the 5th best state overall with the amount of people moving here.

4 Likes

I was at a dinner Tuesday night with someone contemplating multiple job offers out of college, and one happened to be in Raleigh. They were asking questions about what it’s like to live in Raleigh and I said, instead of me trying to explain, look at any “best places to live in the US” list and I guarantee Raleigh is on it. We spent the next 10-15 minutes doing just that. I am glad they didn’t have a job offer in Austin.

10 Likes
4 Likes

I’d take Virgin over AA any day.

1 Like

Raleigh #7 in Hottest USA Job Markets list in WSJ.

It’s a paywall story though. But some snips:

The Journal worked with Moody’s Analytics to assess the labor market in 381 metro areas. Each region was ranked on five metrics: the unemployment rate, labor-force participation rate, job growth, labor-force growth and wage growth.

An average of those rankings was used to determine the hottest labor market in the U.S. for metro areas with more than one million people.

9 Likes

@KenAA, you beat me to it, I was coming to post this.

It is another strong showing for Raleigh, although last year Raleigh was #6, so it did slip a spot.

For those wondering, Charlotte was #17, unchanged from last year.

3 Likes

Charlotte who? #dontcare

3 Likes

Could you tell from Article whether MSA Raleigh-Cary data was used or CSA Raleigh-Durham?

1 Like

I think Raleigh-Cary. Durham goes it alone - sub-one million.

1 Like

I would love to go back over the past decade and re-calculate all of Raleigh’s accolades using the combined metro’s data points that were used for scoring. It would be really interesting to see whether Durham helps or hinders those scores. Depending on the methodology and which data points are used, I suspect a little bit of both would emerge. Sometimes Durham would help, and sometimes they wouldn’t.

2 Likes

I imagine they’d help in raw numbers and hurt in percentage numbers.

1 Like

There are data points where Raleigh outshines Durham objectively like household incomes, public school performance and crime stats. These are often used in rankings of places. Conversely, Durham’s jobs stats outperform Raleigh’s, with them having a greater percentage of high paying jobs in their market. So, while Wake Co. has higher median household incomes, Durham Co. has higher median salaries. I think it’s something like that.
Raleigh’s MSA also outgrows Durham’s. The average growth rate for Raleigh’s MSA in the past decade has been around 2.29% per year, while Durham’s MSA rate has been about 1.45%.
In the latter quarter of last century, I think it’s fair to say that the Durham side of RTP was creating the lion’s share of good jobs in the Triangle, but since 2000 Raleigh and the Wake side of RTP has really stepped up its game.

2 Likes

A new day and a new ranking. Not a lot of detail but graphic shows Raleigh as 11 and Charlotte as 16.

The Milken Institute is out with its annual Best-Performing Cities

5 Likes

This may have been posted before… but Raleigh comes in at #2.

4 Likes

Another day and another #1 for Raleigh (2/29 version)
Glassdoor ranks Raleigh as the best city in the US for jobs,

“Education, health care and tech are some of the industries contributing to the over 52,000 open jobs in Raleigh.”

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article240661871.html#storylink=cpy

9 Likes

A lot of those city-ranking lists are from no-name click-baiters.

But this one from Glassdoor is pretty significant. That’s the number one site for reviews of employers.
And for Raleigh (not even Raleigh-Durham) to top it? It’s worth crowing about.

8 Likes

I have to laugh at this one given that Charlotte often throws around the narrative that “Raleigh is fine for families while Charlotte is the big city” in a sideways pejorative sort of way. Look who’s #3 on that list!

4 Likes