Raleigh In The News around the country/world

Here’s a headline that may be a bit more up your alley, then.

To be clear: I’m sure everyone here who doesn’t live under a rock knows this. But validation is always nice :slight_smile: …though I wish this article also suggested things the Triangle could be doing better on, too.

4 Likes

Neither have I. And I’m happy about this.

3 Likes

Only one I’ve heard of is Mr. Beast (who I believe is one of the biggest youtubers around but also resides near ECU and not technically Raleigh). But I was surprised at this person’s video because she said that other YouTubers had moved into the Raleigh area recently, and that affected their decision. Any good positivity ambassadors we can get, the better.

6 Likes

MatPat of the popular Youtube channels The Game Theorists (14 million subs), The Food Theorists (2.4 million subs), and The Film Theorists (9.6 million subs) moved here last year. None of their content really focuses on their lives so they really don’t talk about it much except occasionally. For example, in the “I Quit Diet Coke!” video (Food Theory: I QUIT Diet Coke! - YouTube) he mentions he lives here and loves Harris Teeter and FoodLion Diet Coke brands.

5 Likes

This video trended #2 yesterday and stayed at #4 today on Youtube. Suffice to say, there’s a lot more people that know that Raleigh, NC exists. lol

They’re def in Raleigh. That’s a Bad Cat Coffee t-shirt from the Morgan Street Food Hall. lol

6 Likes

Is this a screen cap from that video? I don’t recall seeing it.

Don’t kid yourself that this sort of thing actually matters. She moves to Raleigh and talks about how some of her friends did too. Don’t underestimate some of these influencers.

5 Likes

No kidding, it’s not going to turn over the city. It’s just adding to the city’s reputation in a positive way.

3 Likes

From their Tuesday live stream.

1 Like

Mr. Beast splits time between Raleigh and Greenville. He comes to Raleigh often to shoot videos where he legit gives away money and free stuff to people. He’s been growing insanely fast in the last 2 years and now has over 50+ million subs. He rebuilt the Raleigh skyline in minecraft and that video has millions of views…and I’ve been able to catch a few locations around downtown in some of his videos. There is a respectable social media/influencer type community here across all platforms, many of them famous if you dig deep enough

5 Likes
3 Likes

Update on the NC billionaires…

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/04/07/where-raleigh-durham-super-rich-sit-on-forbes-list.html

1 Like
1 Like

North Carolina ranks 6th among states. Cary ranks 7th among cities.

4 Likes

Some interesting things about this story:

1. When they did the summary of the top 10, they mention Dallas and Las Vegas when talking about their suburbs being in the top 10, but not Raleigh when they talk about Cary. Instead, they just mention that Cary’s the smallest city among the ten, as if it exists in a vacuum somewhere.
  2. Raleigh ranked 13th. If one adds Cary to Raleigh, and Frisco to Dallas, Raleigh-Cary lands at #5 ahead of Austin, but behind Dallas.
  3. Clearly the Millennials are getting older if they are moving to suburbs. Many of them have families now.
6 Likes

NC State posted a tweet about their number one ranking in the world in computer science! This is awesome for the area.

13 Likes

Hol’ up. Current NCSU student (by affiliation) here; as happy as I am about that announcement, what you wrote is not right.

The ranking (and State’s press release) is about computer science education. It means the CoE is ranked as the world’s best place to research, teach, and learn about how to teach comp sci.

From the press release:

This is still awesome, since comp sci is obviously an important field where the Triangle could always use more people -plus it’s really difficult to teach it at scale (as UNC is finding out the hard way). But this is separate and different from NCSU being the best at computer science overall, so I just wanted to get the record straight.

8 Likes

Tiny YouTube channel from an Austinite.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Business Expansion in the Triangle

6 Likes