Raleigh In The News around the country/world

It’s a shame it wasn’t actually filmed in Raleigh.

1 Like

Instead we are getting a movie filmed here that’s supposed to be Tennessee. Go figure?

1 Like

I’ve been watching the US Olympic swimming trials these last three nights, and there are multiple swimmers from Cary, and every time Mike Tirico says “Cary, North Carolina,” which he has done several times now, he always immediately adds “which is just outside of Raleigh.”

You guys, we’ve made it! We are America’s reference point for where Cary is located! (In case anyone was wondering, I haven’t seen any swimmers from Raleigh yet, but we’ve still got five nights left to go.)

18 Likes

Cary honestly may be one of the top youth sports (outside of basketball and football) breeding grounds. So much talent comes from here. They seem to all be attracted to the Cary schools though.

2 Likes

I noticed the same thing! He says it every time!

3 Likes

Cary keeps coming up because that’s where the Triangle Aquatics Center is based, and they have one of the best year-round swim teams around. Other places in North Carolina including Raleigh have Level 4 teams too, though.

(Source: I swam in high school only during the season, and the hardcore swimmers who eventually got scholarships in places like Harvard and Johns Hopkins were always in one of a couple of year-round clubs, including TAC’s.)

5 Likes

Shout out to Seven Oaks, the dominant summer swim club way back when. Lochmere in Cary was our big rival.

1 Like

My boss is at the Olympic trials with his daughter. She was on a Raleigh swim team in high school and got a scholarship to the University of Florida. I’m curious to see if she makes the Olympic Team (and if my boss gets to go to Tokyo :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

Good luck to your boss’s daughter! Unfortunately, no international spectators are going to be allowed at the Tokyo Olympics, not even the athletes’ families, so sadly the athletes who go won’t get to have the experience of having their parents there to see the biggest competition of their lives.

2 Likes

A diver from Holly Springs made the US Olympic Team as well.

6 Likes

Yes! Andrew Capobianco. He qualified in two events. And, slightly further afield, Keni Harrison from Clayton is looking good to qualify in the 100m hurdles for athletics. There’s going to be a lot of local talent in Tokyo!

5 Likes

Huge night for this area in the track US Olympic trials tonight. Raleigh resident, Garner High School grad, and NC A&T student Randolph Ross qualified for the US Olympic team in the men’s 400 meters at 20 years old. Wow.

And Clayton’s Keni Harrison is also headed to Tokyo in the women’s 100m hurdles. Lots of local stars to get excited about!

11 Likes

Haha, megan markle sith lord vibes. God save the Queen.

I completely agree. I love track & field, watching it is so entertaining but competing is even better. It is sadly underrated but that doesn’t matter because track is the first and best sport.

3 Likes

A girl at my high school also made the swim team at 16.

6 Likes

Yes! Claire Curzan, from Cary, will represent the US in the 100m butterfly. We’ve got Olympians all over the place around here!

3 Likes

Mozilla Firefox suggest this article when I open a new tab:

I personally wouldn’t plop down a home in the middle of a highway, but whatever :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Can’t access the story. What are the 7 cities?

I believe it is the same information as this article:

9 Likes

No big surprises on that list, except for Cincy. Who knew??