Raleigh needs an attraction!

That’s where the gondola picks up/drops off at Dix (in my world).

3 Likes

My support goes towards expanding and promoting our natural assets. Fun marketing and complementary commercial enterprises can really give our creeks, greenways, lakes, and parks the attention that elevates them to attractions. These include hotels, restaurants, and events that others have mentioned.

Years ago, Downtown promoters started to think of Downtown as a collection of districts with different characters and features. While effort is being spent to connect these districts, in a lot of ways these areas have benefited from a localized perspective. This same method could be used across Raleigh to grow and expand local districts and the attractions within them.

One example would include the Crabtree Valley area. All the elements are there to make a really great district but everything is disconnected. How might the mall, hotels, Crabtree creek, and other additions come together to make a really great place for people to come spend time?

1 Like

I have been running along the Crabtree Greenway in the area around the mall lately. I know the issues with flooding (I work in the env field). But it would be pretty cool to have some restaurant seating along the creek in this area. Convert the lower portion of the parking deck into restaurant space with seating by the “creekside”. I’m not sure how to bridge the gap between the actual mall and the areas along the creek, and of course flooding/zoning would be a big issue. But using the footprint/ground floor of the existing parking deck and not disturbing any vegetation along the creek, could this be possible? I think it could be a pretty cool way to get people along the waterfront of Crabtree creek…

7 Likes

I was thinking just this the other night when I drove by on Edwards Mill. The lights reflecting off the water made it look really nice, and it’s a shame it’s bordered by a parking deck instead of a pedestrian plaza-type area with restaurants set back from it.

2 Likes

I really wish they would do something with the mall. I hate the fact that it closes so early and that there really isn’t a place for later activities. It really needs a nightlife option. I’m not talking anything crazy but something that will keep it lively past 8PM on Fridays/Saturdays.

Other than that, I completely agree with trying to do more with the creek.

4 Likes

How is this thread different from the following 2?

2 Likes

This thread is newer, not old like you. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You and @atl_transplant need to find a job and stop trolling. LOL!!!
Anybody else that clicks like on @GucciLittlePig’s post or adds a qty to Phil’s laughy face can join them!
:rofl:

2 Likes

haha! It’s Friday, attention span is short for important stuff.

Speaking of attractions, is that TopGolf / Sky diving place etc still getting built off 40 / 540 interchange. It was proposed in 2018 but can’t find anything since. Passed by the land yesterday and it appears something is happening but still nothing on the web.

I think a huge mixed-use entertainment focused district could do well there. TopGolf, Movies, Bowling, Skydiving, Dining, shopping. Something like this https://www.hubofficial.com/ or a Concord Mills / Broadway at the Beach.

Drive Shack was completed recently and I think that’s all we’re getting for now in regards to golfing facilities.

I was at a Top Golf last night for a professional event. My verdict was meh.

1 Like

I think he’s talking about this development: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/10/03/proposed-site-for-topgolf-in-durham-could-also.html

Last time I was there, they were clearing that area. That was a bit ago. I used to live up off Page Rd.

3 Likes

Nah the council of año rejected it.

Had to look up what that meant. Wonder what they’re doing there. They’ve cleared the land

The previous City council denied TopGolf when they wanted to build in Raleigh. I’m fighting to bring it here.

2 Likes

Did they really? When was this? Such a shame. I don’t even golf but the more entertainment options the better.

2 Likes

The proposed Top Golf is in Durham’s jurisdiction. Raleigh has nothing to do with it. Someone needs to check if Durham has approved it or not.

3 Likes

Can’t find a peep on it. Not sure if it makes a difference but it’s outside the Durham city limits and just in Durham county.

Edit: nvm it’s in the city limits

I can’t golf at all, but I’ve been to drive shack two or three times now with friends and it’s been pretty fun. I’m terrible at it, but there’s beer and the view is kind of near upstairs, plus I live a mile or so away.

2 Likes

Pretty much Durham County is the city limits of Durham lol.