Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

At 435 feet this becomes the second tallest building in Raleigh being 4 feet taller than the BB&T at 431 feet.

22 Likes

This potential tower is giving me serious Walter tower vibes. Definitely want to see this go up.

5 Likes

Gonna really change the view (dinner tonight)

23 Likes

Between the old brick mix at the bottom, the little sister tower (that’s what we’re calling the hotel), and more shapes I’m way more excited for this one!

Also how it’ll add to a a variable skyline instead of just a row of buildings like NH.

11 Likes

…and, and, and…can I just say how the Municipal Tower “block” north of Nash square being developed could create even more weight in gap-filling !

10 Likes

Owner or operator/manager? They’re typically different groups.
But good news: none of Hoffman’s existing hotels are Marriotts (indeed, they broke an agreement Marriott had with another developer to operate two hotels at the Wharf), so there’s little reason to expect one here. If it’s still 200 keys, that means it’ll be a full-service property with restaurant & bar, rather than the limited-service brands that have spread faster in Raleigh.

10 Likes

They’re more aligned with either Hilton or IHG brands, it seems?
Intercontinental and a Kith/Kin, yes please although I saw Kwame left amidst the pandemidiocy…

1 Like

And according to the Walter website it sits at roughly:
Standing 34-stories and approximately 377’ tall

And then comparing it to those listed in Emporis

RUS BUS would come in at 435ft making it the true new 2nd tallest in both Raleigh and DTR :+1: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

The Wharf has one InterContinental (IHG), a Canopy by Hilton, a Hyatt House, and a Pendry (boutique flag with seven locations so far). As far as full-service hotels nearby go, IHG has that one Holiday Inn downtown, Hilton is in North Raleigh plus some Doubletrees (converted from other brands), Hyatt has the two UNC hotels in Chapel Hill. I don’t know if there’s enough high-roller demand for an IC, but I think something in the “upper-upscale, lifestyle, full-service” category might work here: Indigo, Canopy, Centric, or a fake-boutique Kimpton / Curio / Unbound Collection. Of course, there’s no guarantee they’ll give preference to these brand groups; I don’t think anyone here would turn down a Le Meridien, even though it’s another Marriott.

Seaboard Station block A is still set to have a 150-key hotel. That management contract might be shopped together, or separately.

5 Likes

If the city/county really do make the ultimate decision to move the arena to downtown then I could see an InterContinental and/or Westin. Until then I doubt we will have any major hotel projects including CoR’s plan for the convention center hotel.

That won’t be until the 2030’s however maybe we will know the decision mid-2020s.

1 Like

Wow… taller residential building, the new 2nd tallest building in the entire city as pointed out by others; slightly shorter hotel tower (which is fine by me, it will now sit a little below the Dillon, adding even more height variation); a seriously much more interesting facade than any other proposal we’ve seen in recent times; a hidden parking deck; tons and tons of ground floor retail; and a damn skybridge connecting to RUS proper. This thing has it all!!!

18 Likes

I like that the 435’ tower will be to the north of the Dillon - you will get a great cluster of buildings as viewed from boylan bridge

9 Likes

And the “visibility” this will bring to the location of the Union Station will be helped by this complex as well. :office:

4 Likes

it does appear that the “Exst. Facade to Remain” areas have shrunk a little bit on this update. Mainly at the plaza?

Still looks pretty good to me.

10 Likes

Yea a ton of activity coming up on this side of downtown…

38 Likes

I’m reeeeeeally hoping that Nexus circle ends up becoming Raleigh’s next tallest, making PNC 2nd and RUSbus 3rd.

16 Likes

YESSSS! That was exactly what I thought when I saw @mike’s post.

1 Like

What about the CAM redevelopment, or is that DOA at this point?

2 Likes

Hope that historic district means preserving street level appearance of building (see Dilland (sic?)) and not block all high rise development.

1 Like

They’ve already upzoned there for 12 stories, and are now coming back for 20 stories. So, it is pretty much as you hope:

1 Like