Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

Can’t believe all the Raleighites here don’t know this:

Tom Dundon Purchases Pro Pickleball Association (PPA) – Goes All-In on Pickleball – NML Pickleball

The best female player is 16 or something like that. Sometimes it’s on ESPN, it’s on Tennis Channel a lot. There was a short story about the origin of pickleball on ESPN and Tom Dundon was featured - there was even a shot of PNC ARENA OMG in it. Anyway, he came away from it looking a bit shady as he was talking about gambling on pickleball matches. Pretty gross if you ask me.

6 Likes

Tarboro Rd. Community Center has Tuesdays and Thursdays open play pickleball from 6:30-8:30 and the crowd is very diverse. They’re very welcoming if you want to drop by and just see what it’s like!

2 Likes

Quick response before Leo boots us all into a new Pickleball thread, but it’s easy to pick up and a lot of fun for all ages. If anyone ever wants to try it out, open invite from me. I have a second paddle.

1 Like

Yeah it’s basically “Giant Ping-Pong” - my mom f*%$ing LOVES it :rofl:

3 Likes

I thought the Villages #1 sport was hooking up.

2 Likes

That’s apres pickleball!

:pensive: Ok now I’m tempted.

1 Like

Ping pong is actually competitive though.

3 Likes

“x amount of Posts were merged into a new topic: Pickleball in the triangle”

2 Likes

New to the boards here - although I’ve been reading them for some time.

We lived at Glenwood South for a bit and just recently moved to Hargett & Boylan.

There seems to be a ton of development in this area.

This facility being one. Does anyone know what impact (if any) the RUS BUS facility will have on the Moore Square Bus station?

Thanks!

11 Likes

First of all, welcome to the community! It’s always great to have new voices here!
I’ve pondered the same thing about the Moore Square bus station. I don’t know if RUSBus supplants Moore Square or complements it.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it complements it (RUSBUS = west downtown, Moore Sq = east downtown), but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

They don’t exactly know how but the future vision is to have two downtown bus stations. How that works comes later after the BRT lines start rolling.

3 Likes

That’s typically what I’ve heard as well. I’ve also heard that RUSBus is expected to have a more regional focus (primarily GoTriangle routes), while Moore Square will be more local (GoRaleigh). BRT will essentially operate as a high-frequent shuttle between the two.

3 Likes

Do I hear monorail between the 2 bus depots?

With a not too long distance between them, I was thinking something more in the line of Subway!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I was wondering about that myself, Also, what about the Greyhound Bus station on Capitol blvd. Do they plan to move to RUS/RUSbus facility or stay where they are ? when I go catch a Greyhound bus to go to Greensboro or Rocky Mount, it is very crowded.

1 Like

I was hearing gondola.

6 Likes

I swear I heard that the Greyhound buses will move to RUSBUS, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

I’m very curious to see how the routing will look when it’s all up and running. Bus only lanes downtown is going to be such a game changer

5 Likes