Renovation at Historic Ideal Cleaning Co. & Lumsden Bros. Building

Its a pretty tight site. Plus tying into an existing facade and replacing 100 year old utilities without knocking the facade over is a delicate process. It was bulging out a few inches at one point and I emailed the City about it. It has since been tightened/tied back to the new structure. Anyway, not a slam bang sort of project…quite a bit of artistry to wrangle with here.

5 Likes

Also, this project has to be 100% completed and site cleared for Nexus project to start since they are using some of the land for Nexus phase 1 as their staging area.

4 Likes

Still slowly coming along…

8 Likes

Yeah, but coming along faster than most…especially 400H…:wink:

4 Likes

Oh nice! I haven’t been by in a couple weeks. They finally got the hideous awnings off, which I thought would’ve been the first thing to go. Looks way better, and I like the way this is shaping up.

2 Likes

I think this same building this company is moving into.

"The building was first constructed in 1925 and was the home of Father and Son Antiques for more than 20 years. It has been expanded to five stories and boasts about 25,500 square feet of office and retail space. "

"FastMed officials say the location will be the new home to approximately 100 corporate staff, though the number is expected to “continue to grow.” + plus a med clinic on ground floor.

Why an urgent care company is moving its corporate offices to downtown Raleigh

6 Likes

I did some sleuthing and the rear warehouse, where most of the clothes and stuff was, was built between 1909 and 1914 (seen on Sanborn maps). The front 3 stories were added later apparently. Anyway, that warehouse part is gone now.

@scotchman - that’s an interesting article. Especially that they were able to get mixed-use downtown space (25K sqft) for around $25 per sqft.

Web Golinkin, CEO of FastMed, says the company choose the site because it was “a unique opportunity” to upgrade their office while also providing it “access to a larger talent pool as we continue to grow.”

In addition to the corporate offices, FastMed plans to also use the location as the site of a downtown clinic. “If you’re looking for a corporate headquarters and you’re a company like FastMed, you don’t want to go into a suburban office park if you want to train clinic employees in that location,” … “You can do that here, because if you’re in a suburban office park, there really aren’t a lot of buildings that are meant for mixed use.”

… the willingness for FastMed to run an urgent care in the heart of downtown is even more evidence of the transforming nature of the area.

“It absolutely is…I mean, we didn’t have the critical mass that’s really required for a lot of the larger retail concepts.”

They expect to open the new location by fall of 2020.

4 Likes

So Fast Meds corporate HQ is going to be in DT Raleigh?

It’s limited to their NC corporate office. What’s interesting is not just that they are drawn to DTR as a better way to attract new staff, but also because of the growing downtown population (they’ll have office staff plus a significant retail health clinic, all in the same building).

FastMed Urgent Care has announced plans to move its North Carolina corporate staff from Clayton into the former Father and Son antiques location on West Hargett Street between Fayetteville Street and the Warehouse District.

1 Like

So the ground floor will be an urgent care? Mehh

There aren’t any urgent cares currently in downtown. It seems like the closest urgent care is 4 miles away so this isn’t a bad thing.

8 Likes

There’s one on Wilmington next to Gravy.

1 Like

It doesn’t come up under google maps for urgent care and it’s open bankers hours. I’m guessing the FastMed location will be a little nicer, larger and hopefully have expanded hours.

1 Like

it’ll be nice for when i get the bill at death and taxes and have a heart attack :broken_heart:

11 Likes

It’s will also be their main training center, with the office space upstairs also supporting the training functions.
Seems to be a cool diverse operation right in downtown. Should generate a good bit of activity (hotel stays, demand for dining for the students, etc).

10 Likes

Well, they then got the death part correct!

1 Like

Different angle this time. Finally seems like they are getting it done.

10 Likes

This shot gives you a real sense of what towers might look like if they were allowed to rise from behind historic storefronts. While it’s not finished, I think that both the stepback from the facade, and the simpleness/clean modern lines of any addition would be key to them making any sense at all.
The success of this project might spawn copy-cat renovations and expansions throughout the city.

10 Likes

Or hopefully it leads to even faux historic storefronts like they did over in Durham.
Btw I meant to mention this, I was over there a few weekends back to hang out and go to the Pitt game and while you’re walking around the new downtown tower you completely forget it’s there. The street level experience and the set backs are done so well you have to look up to remember there’s a huge building overhead. Should they ever choose to actually build over the storefronts on Fayetteville, I think it can be done in a way that doesn’t impact the current street level experience.

9 Likes