Show Off Things From Other Cities

not sure if you are a tennis fan but WS hosts a 250 pro level mens tournament in august i believe. the stadium is on campus and all seats are pretty good as it isn’t too huge.

7 Likes

Got a few pics too on this gorgeous evening!

24 Likes

I feel the Cotton House brewery has to be thrilled their big patio/outside deck area backs up to this. Gonna have some primetime views of this new park.

10 Likes

Park done right. Well run city.

3 Likes

Yeah, yeah, yeah…Cary is your kinda city because it’s not…a city. :spades:
Cool park. Good for Cary for becoming more dense in the town center.

4 Likes

Speaking of the Downtown Cary park, I saw this yesterday too. One of the head chefs behind Brewery Bhavana/Bida Manda is opening his own restaurant on the ground floor of The Walker. Which I believe, someone correct me if I’m wrong, also faces this new park too.

Brewery Bhavana/Bida Manda Chef Opening Restaurant in Cary (raleighmag.com)

6 Likes

Yep, we saw that too and “walked” by the space last night. Nothing really going on yet inside, but definitely excited. I love the food at both Bida Manda and Bhavana, which ironically also face a park.

3 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Flamewar City Debates

Brightline West from LA to Las Vegas seems like a go! Too bad the planned route doesn’t go to LA Union Station but better than nothing.

This was just posted 2 days ago.

5 Likes
1 Like

AS IS HIS DAMN RIGHT!!! Power to him.

1 Like

Seriously, good for him!

1 Like

But what’s with all that complaining about living in the shadows and not seeing the sky anymore…right? :crazy_face:

Is that Flying Saucer??

1 Like

I’d say that he’s fairly well positioned from a windstorm damage perspective.

Got to take advantage of some biking lanes in DC near the National Mall a few weeks ago. Biking the smallish distance we did was pretty pleasant. We got a couple of bikes from the Capital Bikeshare. It was a pretty easy way to get around between the National Mall, Wharf, and Lincoln Memorial. I really preferred the 2 way cycletrack and mixed use path instead of the single bike lanes although the bike lanes aren’t too bad here given the slower speeds.

I would like to go back to explore some more of the biking infrastructure in the area. My spouse doesn’t cycle too much, but they definitely enjoyed the small ride. They were able to find and use an ebike which they also enjoyed.

22 Likes

Stumbled upon a new distillery cocktail bar in downtown Durham tonight as a result of @GucciLittlePenguin being very observant. Apparently they soft opened just yesterday, with a public opening next week and a grand opening in April. But they’re a distillery in Weldon Mills, about 90 minutes northeast of Raleigh, and this bar is where they’re doing some barrel aging and making drinks and selling bottles. I’ll be honest, I was blown away with the selection, and also the quality of what we tasted. They have probably the best bourbon I’ve had outside of Kentucky. But also they have gin, tequila, whiskey, vodka, some infused things, and probably more I’m forgetting. Super nice people and a cool space too.

Weldon Mills Distillery

18 Likes

Oldest tunnel and bottleneck of Amtrak service in the Northeast is finally getting a replacement. This tunnel services NC lines that go to NYC.

5 Likes

They make some great bourbon! Tried the soldier’s cut a few weeks ago and I’ve been on the lookout for select or reserve. Great addition to the city.

3 Likes

The middle part of Roosevelt Island, around the Good Shepherd church, always feels to me like a post-WW2 rebuilt European city center: a little stone church surrounded by Brutalism, and with very few cars (there’s a big parking garage off island). The new Cornell campus looks neat, and the FDR memorial has some nice views.
On the Manhattan side, the Trader Joe’s under the Queensboro Bridge has a marvelous structural tile ceiling:

WABA did a 30-mile, less-hilly version of its 50 States Ride last year that’s almost all protected bike infrastructure; here’s the route map.

10 Likes