Show Off Things From Other Cities

This is what downtown parks are supposed to look like. Looking at you, Moore Square…

(Currently visiting Savannah)

23 Likes

Planning on a Spanish moss planting campaign in Nash Square?

5 Likes

We will get right on moving the city 200 miles southeast.

1 Like

i think still Durham resident, Branford Marsalis, plays at the Jefferson Center, a former school in d-town Roanoke, VA…really nicely converted into a performance hall. ebullient performance.

10 Likes

My post for the year!
@atl_transplant you’ll appreciate this

7 Likes

Who dis?

(extra chars)

2 Likes

Look to your left, or maybe to your right.

I have a running joke that if I had money, I’d invest it in South Downtown Atlanta! Great things happening in a much forgotten part of the City. I even wrote about it. Why I’m Bullish on South Downtown’s Future – and Downtown Atlanta in General – Phil Veasley

2 Likes

She’ll get this reply next year when she has an article to share.
:rofl:

There was a very in-depth article about commercial to residential conversions in NYC in the Financial Times earlier this year. There are a lot of challenges to it and it’s quite expensive. I can’t remember all the details but there was something about how deep into the building a residential unit would have to go since you can’t have entirely internal (no windows) units - so some contractor in NYC literally cuts a core out of the center of the building so that there can be interior units with windows looking down into the new interior courtyard. I’m sure I didn’t explain that properly…anyway, something has to happen with all the empty office space…

5 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the right topic, but I thought people might enjoy reading about this. Raleigh isn’t the only place with hard-core NIMBYs. This article is about people in downtown Seattle opposing new development in part b/c of…shadows.

Arguing against the project, Escala’s attorneys claimed that shadows from the new buildings would result in “cancers, cardiovascular disease, metabolic disorders and mental health [sic].”

2 Likes

Looks like those condos sell from about 700K (low floor 1 bedroom) and into the millions. This is obviously a well funded resistance like our “friends” in Hayes Barton.

1 Like

Shadows cause cancer now!

And anyone that drinks water will end up dead!

the new operational but still under cunstruction valley metro station in downtown ROA, VA. also a photo

of the in-rehab former bus cave, Campbell court…it was the oldest public bus facility left in the state. soon to be converted to lofts.

4 Likes

2 blocks away is ROA amtrak and market square…a combo indoor and outdoor area serving many downtown employees with meals and shopping. some turnover but a few good long term eateries. microtransit scooters in between the new bus station and amtrak.

13 Likes

Gentle Density and healthy street trees in Boston

13 Likes

say “hi” to my daughter at Berklee! lol!

1 Like

What does not so gentle density look like?

Aggressive Density! LOL

11 Likes