Show Off Things From Other Cities

This is Turin Italy and I thought it was very cool. These porticos are everywhere for blocks and blocks around the city. They were originally built to allow the the King to stay dry during inclement weather as he tooled about town. In the modern world, they serve as a corridor of shopping on the lower level. These porticos encourages strolling in a comfortable environment without the need to be indoors.

25 Likes

We need street markets like this in the US.

A street in Dongdaemun Market in Seoul, plus some of the best chicken soup I’ve ever had (complete surprise).

Gwangjang Market, one of the larger markets in Seoul.

A few random pictures of Myeongdong Walking Street, known for its stores and street food.

Uploading: AE4C27C7-3C80-4CBB-97D5-577485797474.jpeg…
Uploading: 15DD250D-8043-4452-B9DB-CEF0F0A48BF9.jpeg…
Uploading: 685AA242-079E-40E6-9E4C-7B027055021D.jpeg…
Uploading: AAED20A3-7686-4C0D-B37C-78E548A3443A.jpeg…

Plus one more thing you guys would like: the city covered this stream with concrete 60 years ago to create a large avenue, then uncovered it to create this 10 mile long urban park through the middle of the city.

Highly recommend Seoul, it’s street atmosphere is incredible.

18 Likes

You sent me down a rabbit hole of exploring Southern South America and now I need more credit card points

4 Likes

This is a really fun Art Deco facade-ectomy in Berkeley

15 Likes

Yeah I dig this!!!

2 Likes

I agree! This is cool looking and quite unique.

Haha, glad I could help. Find anything interesting?

1 Like

Cary’s park still coming along nicely. This is mostly the periphery since I didn’t have a drone or wings 🪽🪽

29 Likes

Winston Salem spared their Arby’s neon sign

7 Likes

Heading there in the fall. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Yeah, and ours was simply destroyed.

1 Like
20 Likes

Can’t wait to read the Cary Downtown Facebook page response to this.

1 Like

A real downtown! Hell yes.

And to the point upthread about Cary never getting any credit for how big it is, this is the kind of thing that puts a “there” there in people’s minds (compare it to those gigantic SoCal suburbs with no downtowns no one ever thinks about - the Escondidos and Murrietas of the world).

11 Likes

“Cary if it weren’t people’s by NIMBYs and snowbirds and was located somewhere else”

3 Likes

Wow, that looks… kinda amazing. Bravo, Cary. I’ll be impressed if leadership can pull this one off.

2 Likes

https://www.neonmuseum.org/ maybe some of these would be cool in NC cities…neon histories.

Hope they save those redwoods…

6 Likes

Now that Toronto has gotten on the Michelin star scale, this high end Japanese restaurant (which we’re going to try when we’re up there in a few months) announced they’re opening a sister restaurant in Vancouver. Apparently this Japanese architect is designing his first North American high rise, and this is the anchor GFR tenant. Meanwhile in Raleigh we have…a styrofoam Chick-fil-A hotel that rains microplastics?

6 Likes

Aw, comparing us to two of the wealthiest global financial hubs is just mean.

3 Likes