Show Off Things From Other Cities

True. Their car dependent suburbia is way more densely packed than a substantial amount of Raleigh’s suburbia was when we were 180K in the mid 80s.

5 Likes

Lots of stuff going on in downtown Cary today (and more fun than protests and counterprotests in DTR).

Some type of festival has some roads closed, and there’s a whole puppy thing at the champagne bar. Obligatory picture of the park progress from the top floor of the library.

And Cotton House brewery’s back patio now extends into a yard that will connect to the park when it opens. I like the idea of being in the park and being able to wander into a brewery. Not quite Greenville, SC with their greenway breweries, but it’s a start.

20 Likes

Good on Cary giving commercial access to community amenities…
Better yet, good thing the community doesn’t raise pitchforks against the ‘fortunate’ developments that benefit from proximity… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I may have jumped the gun, my wife pointed out. I was speculating because the only thing separately the spaces is the temporary construction fence. I guess they could always try to fence it back in, but that would seem less than ideal.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it “fortunate” as the park was conceived back in 2001 and the first phase was completed in 2017. All these developments knew the park was coming and i am sure it factored in their decision making in choosing a location near the park.

2 Likes

You act as if Raleigh is some urban utopia… Raleigh is mostly poorly planned 70s and 89’s styled suburban sprawl mixed in with 60’s style urban renewal infrastructure. At least the newer SFH neighborhoods in western Wake use smaller lots and are mostly designed with sidewalks , bike lanes etc. Obviously there are some old ITB neighborhoods that use small lots but that is just a drop in the bucket of the entire city limits. Cary, Apex are not much different than most of Raleigh.

i dont know how soon or great this attitude change in raleigh is occurring but is this where some tweaking of the ‘lifstyle center’ placement and planning can ease things? routing bike paths near these locations (are thee examples in raleigh?) along falls of neuse there was the extra wide sidewalk that to me permitted rather easy biking to locations along it from the neighborhoods just off the thoroughfare. this was designed early 80s if not before i thought.

Then and Now. Cary Downtown Park.

12 Likes

I find it rather garish. Kind of reminds me of Myrtle Beach mini golf. Lacks serenity. I’ll reserve final judgment until it’s complete.

1 Like

That music though! Lol
:rofl:

1 Like

It’s an awesome song, but wouldn’t there need to be an actual downtown with “music of the traffic of the city” & “noise and the hurry” from the city in order to have to find refuge from it?
It will be interesting to see what sort of development that this spawns (beyond what’s already built/being built), and whether or not NIMBYs will try to prevent it.

1 Like

Didn’t even know Apex was building a new park until I saw this one.

12 Likes

This park project has been behind schedule a lot as it was initially supposed to open during ‘Spring 2023’ but now they’re saying the summer time. The creation/funding of this whole park was a ballot issue put to Apex voters back in 2017.

Here’s a longer write up on what’s going into it. I can’t wait for this thing to open as it’s down the road from me. The dogs and I are going to love exploring the cross country course lol

2 Likes

Nice soccer fields at least.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Southend Charlotte today. Pics stolen from FB.

6 Likes

That sight looks familiar. That sucks, but glad it wasn’t an occupied building

3 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/Charlotte/comments/13l0hnc/video_of_the_south_park_fire_taken_from_the/

1 Like

BIG surprise! /s

Methinks perhaps some strict regulations on building materials should be considered?

1 Like

Really sad.
That was millions of dollars of brand new material. Poof. Gone

2 Likes

Wasn’t the state or city trying to pass a law about wood construction materials and building codes??

1 Like