Show Off Things From Other Cities

From what I’ve read, Boston does have a pretty gnarly NIMBY problem, which is why housing is so expensive there (and the population is starting to flatline). Part of the problem, or so I theorize, is that Boston is not very big in terms of square mileage, so regional growth depends heavily on the policies of neighboring municipalities like Brookline, Somerville, and Chelsea. If any of those towns feel like blocking new development, Boston can’t really do much about it.

Sidenote, my wife and I are flying up there tonight. Haven’t been back to New England since my parents moved away nearly four and a half years ago. I’ll try to remember to snap some pics for this thread.

12 Likes

Up in DC for the weekend. Won’t spam with the obvious typical DC pics haha

I’m staying in this amazing new district called “The Wharf” which features some amazing buildings and completely hidden (I think it’s all underground) parking up against the Patomic.

I think once built out Bloc 83 and Smoky Holly can give us a similar vibe on a much smaller scale - minus the water of course.

Would be amazing if we could one day get a seamless path facing corridor of development like this.

21 Likes

Had dinner at Hank’s Oyster Bar at the DC Wharf last Friday night. The whole Wharf was jammed packed. Beautiful evening.

1 Like

That’s probably about 50’ from my hotel window right now :joy:

2 Likes

I believe The Wharf is the same group of architects as The Creamery.

1 Like

Wharf is a nice development. The river helps immensely…
I believe Hoffman was also involved at the Wharf?
So, they’re involved locally in Seaboard and the RusBus tower developments…?

4 Likes
3 Likes

Concept rendering for Austin’s future light rail. That being said we totally should not even deal with at-grade light rail. If we are going to do rail eventually it should be not have any at-grade crossings. They are always slower and less efficient. When I used to work in West LA the new Santa Monica metro extension opened and even though my apartment and work were both on the line it was completely useless as it took longer than driving and there was so many car accidents

9 Likes

never mind. grumpy me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::penguin::bird::otter:

1 Like

This project looks gorgeous. But crazy it’s gonna close down for 4 years to make it happen.

3 Likes

Snohetta…Might take time but will most likely be striking when complete.

1 Like

I find the lack of a real central library in Raleigh frustrating. The Village District branch is nice but not at all impressive.

12 Likes

Raleigh (NC State) got a Snohetta library nearly a decade ago. Charlotte needed to get one of their own since they are sort of a “tick the box” city.

2 Likes

Being the most important part of this statement. I just wish DTR could get an actual library! :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Indeed. Was by there on Sunday…

As others have said, it would be nice if DTR got a library - and no, the Village ain’t it…

6 Likes

I’d love to get a library similar to the new one in downtown Durham. That was one of my favorite parts of the city when I visited a few months back.

2 Likes

VisitFlorida org has paid off Michelin to make a Michelin guide for Tampa, Orland, Miami.

1 Like

I was in Carolina Beach a few weeks ago, and saw one of these little guys picking up the trash along Carolina Beach Avenue, and was mesmerized.

This would be fantastic for allowing development that faces small alleyways too narrow for conventional garbage trucks to fit.

11 Likes

I think this is really great to see. Anything that puts NC on the map is good for Raleigh too. Plus Wilmington is already one of my favorite cities here.

10 Likes

We’re back! Sadly, I didn’t really get any pictures of the infrastructure because I was too busy enjoying myself. That being said, a couple relevant takeaways (using pictures I found online).

First, the new center-running busway Boston just opened on Columbus Ave was fantastic. It’s New England’s first, and was an excellent preview of what’s to come here. The one glaring contrast between what they have and what we’re planning is the number of lanes we’ll be working with. Crossing from the platform to the sidewalk was comfortable and easy, even in the dark, because we were only dealing with one lane of traffic. Additionally, the travel lanes were pretty narrow thanks to wider sidewalks, so cars weren’t moving as fast anyway. It has me wondering how comfortable our BRT stations are going to feel with two lanes of higher-speed traffic on either side. Here’s a picture of one of the platforms from Streetsblog MASS:

Second observation: man, people in Cambridge love their bikes. We stayed near Central on the Red Line, and every day we saw tons of bikes chained up on the racks next to the station. Even when you moved away from transit stops, you still saw plenty of cyclists and chained-up bikes. They were also pretty common in downtown Boston, but Cambridge was on another level (I hear good things about Somerville as well, but we didn’t make it out there). The difference, of course, was ease-of-use. Cambridge has an increasing number of raised, curb-separated bike lanes, often accompanied by protected intersections and, when necessary, dedicated signals for cyclists. Here’s a great example of a newly-implemented road diet:

From what I’ve seen on Twitter, Cambridge has aggressively pursued an expansion of protected bike infrastructure, especially during the pandemic. I’ve been amazed at how quickly they’ve been able to implement some of these projects using a strategy known as tactical urbanism. It does seem like Raleigh has been exploring this tactic more, but I do feel like we could be doing more. The biggest barrier, I’d assume, is the level of control that NCDOT has over many of the streets in our city. I’m hoping this new text change will really up our game here, but time will tell.

16 Likes