Show Off Things From Other Cities

I’m very Happy with what Raleigh has coming online as far as projects, But Durham is not playing games the city has alot of character and those old warehouses give it bones to work with, I like the designs of the Apts and Condo’s going up there this is a good looking design.

16 Likes

“Who wants a $3.5 million condo in DTD?” That’s steep. Maybe Google/Apple employees selling their homes in the Bay Area?

1 Like

They’re gonna need more than my contact info to convince a bank to give me a $3.5 million mortgage… :smile:

10 Likes

I wouldn’t pay $3.5M for a condo in any Triangle city. I’d never want to lead the market and then worry about selling it in the future.
Frankly, the rendering looks rather ordinary to me for anything even remotely approaching that price point.

9 Likes

That’s only the outside though, the inside is what makes the price so high. I want to see interior renderings of the condos and amenities.

It’s for the Seinfelds of the world with kiddos at Dook…

1 Like

A preview of things to come. Here are a few photos I took from a small town in Germany called Bad Odesloe. The city has a population of 25k. It is a 33 minute express train ride (50 minute local train) or a 28.6 mile drive from Hamburg.

I am very jealous that we can’t get a pedestrian only shopping area. The closest I can think of off the top of my head is Southpoint or Lafayette Village, but outside their short strips it’s all surrounding by a moat of parking or nothingness. The first photo is blurry, but it does show quite a bit of bicycle parking. I’ll try to take a photo of more bicycle parking. There were quite a few bikes around.

This photo I do want to highlight the large sidewalk on this street.

This photo shows a bunch of buildings around a small creek I guess? I just like how this looks even though there isn’t a whole lot of water in this area.

This is a bus stop that was used to get us to the airport (to get a rental car). It serves a few bus lines (I know at least 2 since this is where we connected) and is connected to their U-bahn (subway) station. It’s very basic but is functional. The bus ride to the airport costs 7.50EUR per person for a 20 mile ride. The fare is based on zones you travel through.

This photo was from the bus stop looking towards the street. We can see the bike lane on the side.

I’m also adding a photo of the screen showing the ICE train going 200kph.

I’ll be posting more as I get more photos.

12 Likes

Back in 2014/2015 timeframe one of my buddy’s had a place off Geer street within walking distance of Fullsteam brewery. It feels like that corner of downtown Durham has particularly exploded with all kinds of stuff within the last couple of years. Boxcar, Urban Axes, Durham Food Hall, townhomes, apartments, etc. just to name a few off the top of my head.

1 Like

Spent some time exploring our twin city last night. It was pretty early but I was impressed with the number of people out walking around and the pretty cool little Central Park. So many great restaurants downtown as well. Great asset to have in our metro.

Really liked this angle I got a shot from, seems like a real city from here. Exited to see what’s to come for our neighbors.

25 Likes

Important questions: is that your dog, and what kind?

5 Likes

Yes. Boston terrier mixed with pit

7 Likes

Awesome! Love bostons and pit bulls, the mix sounds great.

1 Like

Looks like local CBS picked up the story on ‘The Novus’ and jeez some of these condos will be a lot more than $3.5 million…

“The condos are selling anywhere from $600,000 – $5.5 million each. She said that half of the 54 condos have already been reserved”.

Reading lines like that makes me feel like if something of this squale/quality/height/etc. ever landed at the Nexus lot, then I’m sure they’d probably also sell. Maybe I’m just delusional but that’s my $0.02.

12 Likes

I recently was in Atlanta and met a friend at this cool coffee shop. It was made from a recycled container and was tucked into an urban neighborhood. I think he said there are others, but would be great to see something like this in the downtown area. IT was big enough to serve coffee and light snacks and easy to fit on a small lot…and cool to look at as well.

18 Likes

I’m hoping the kiosks on Bloc 83 turn into something like that.

9 Likes

Last few times I’ve passed, they’ve had the large tv on ESPN

Isn’t there one by Smokey Hollow? I don’t think it’s being used yet, but I don’t know if there’s future plans for it.

That was the old sales office for the Peace St apartments.

1 Like

Wonder if Kane would consider placing it on one of his properties somewhere and repurposing it for small-footprint retail… :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

2 Likes

I have no idea which thread to put this in, but I thought people on this forum would find this article from the Boston Globe interesting (and the comments to it) - it appears some people in that city think there are more NIMBYs there than anywhere in the country. The article is basically about the tension between residents and the biotech industry that is trying to convert empty buildings to lab space. It also touches on the tension that comes from moving residents into what were formerly industrial areas such as South Street Seaport.

By the way, I found this article while reading about Jaguar Gene Therapy expanding its presence in the Cary area: Jaguar Gene Therapy will join the North Carolina biotech manufacturing community, with a $125 million investment in a 174,000 square-foot facility that will sit down the road from the company’s Cary, NC laboratory.

7 Likes