Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

I will have to make it a point to come into downtown from that direction when I am back in November. Ral-X’ing will be even bigger then!

Adds to the skyline from this viewpoint as well. :slight_smile: image

16 Likes

Just imagine another line apartment sized building and 2 more peace apartment sized buildings in this area :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Then a 20 story building beside the creamery building

6 Likes

Has anyone made it out to Publix yet today? Planning to go later in the day just curious if others have ventured over :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just woke up, so no :smiley:
I might swing by some odd hour this weekend tho.

2 Likes

I am walking down there for lunch shortly.

4 Likes

I’m pretty confident that the opening will be on the Noon news today. Part of me wants to go see it, while the cautious part of me wants to wait until the excitement dies down and there are less people in the store.

1 Like

I just went to pick up lunch! There were a number of people there, but it wasn’t overwhelming. Plenty of space to keep distance. There was no line for check-out. There were probably more employees walking around giving directions and offering help than there were customers.

8 Likes

29 Likes

I was super impressed! It was much larger than I thought it would be and I found the prices and selection were excellent. Saw lots of folks walking and biking over. As a parent, I was also really happy with the selection of baby products. Comparable to Target on food, diapers, formula, etc. We found bike parking very easy, even with our larger cargo bike (gotta bring the groceries back home! :sweat_smile:). This will be a standard shopping locale for us for sure.

20 Likes

I’m really hoping that the new Publix and the Weaver Street Market can both succeed. They really add a lot to DTR and make it a more complete neighborhood.

14 Likes

Agree! We shop at Weaver a few times a month and love it. My kids still eat too much processed food (tbh) like eggo waffles and stuff like that for us to shop exclusively there. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t imagine that Publix will kill Weaver st. They are nearly a mile apart (16 minute walk), and Weaver st. has products that Publix does not, like local meat and local yogurt, plus there are quite a few apartment buildings within a stone’s throw of Weaver St. Every time I’m there I see lots of apparent apartment dwellers bouncing in for a handful of things to cook / drink for dinner that night. I drive to weaver street from 3 miles away because it’s closer than Whole Foods.

8 Likes

Does anyone know if you can walk through the parking lot/deck from Johnson St. and get to the Publix on foot? Johnson would be my approach, and I’d rather not walk to the front door if there’s a shortcut.

1 Like

You can if you don’t mind avoid cars.

I was at the Publix around 3 PM and it was busy. The prices were every reasonable and a lot of products were affordable. I was asked 10 times if I needed help by everyone including a general manager. I had a car rental today and was surprised parking was free and easy to navigate. I suspect this will change once this area gets very developed. Overall impressed!

9 Likes

Charging for grocery store parking will not go over well, imo.

3 Likes

Other places end up putting in charging (for parking) stations to deter parking of non-shoppers. Stores then validate the parking ticket so that shoppers aren’t charged. If the garage gets abused by Glenwood South visitors, expect some sort of program like that being implemented.

4 Likes

I read your comment to say charging like EV charging and wondered why that wouldn’t potentially encourage non-shoppers to go there to charge. :joy:
:cloud_with_lightning:
Understood charging being :money_with_wings: :moneybag: :money_mouth_face:

4 Likes