Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

I think that it’s fine. It’s nicer than the ones that I shop in MIami, but it’s similar enough in layout so that I can find what I’m looking for fairly easily. I will say that it’s larger than I expected it to be.
That said, I went to HT in CV in Saturday AM to pick up some chicken salad for a socially distance picnic at the art museum grounds, and the renovations of that store still put it head and shoulders above Publix. Then again, I can’t walk to HT in less than five minutes and easily roll my groceries home in one of these…

12 Likes

Switched from Wegmans to Publix. I really like the new Publix. Super clean and not crazy big. Easy in easy out

8 Likes

I agree. Their prices are a little higher than HT but nothing major. At least on the things I bought.

I’ve heard from a pretty reliable source that the commercial space in Smoky Hollow is only 5% leased and that is basically just Clancey and Theys. Apparently this low lease rate is the reason Kane has put the W Cabarrus project on hold for about two years at this point.

2 Likes

Probably about 15%. I know of three tenants moving in. They have one or two more with letters of intent. There’s 19 retail spots. They’re definitely behind in leasing that space tho, they told me Covid has made a lot of inquiries they had back off.

3 Likes

I live in Smoky Hollow. You know? I’m disgusted. There is a party almost every night from that new bar (right by the beer garden). Why does Raleigh try SOOO hard to be cool? Like turn it into a night club to generate revenue? Seriously, weekend II understand but it’s incessant. There has to be quality of life for the whole community, not just cater to the Glenwood bar culture (which attracts the entire triangle apparently) I don’t know, something seems wrong to me. They do attract a big crowd though it appears (I think they’re called Dogwood…I think they relocated). I wish they wouldn’t and go out of business, and I don’t usually wish that. There has to be a volume consideration now that people are living here. Honestly I find that trashy

Wait, you rented an apartment downtown on a street adjacent to the most prominent party street in Raleigh and are surprised by bar and city noise??? Living in a city comes with city noise. Btw, Dogwood has been been open for almost 3 yrs.

19 Likes

SOooo,…isn’t that why folks want to live DT, ?? you’re going to get that city vibe especially living near Glenwood South. You’ll get that in any other city Big/Small.
:confused: :night_with_stars: Besides, once Smoky Hollow is completed, it is only going to get a whole lot busier with activity, especially on the weekend nights.

4 Likes

I have lived in downtown in Chicago so noooooo

this is not a typical city this is called trashy…

btw dogwood just relocated to the new spot, tryst me I know I watch it all from my window now smarty pants

Dogwood has been around for 3 years or so. They’ve been shut down during Covid and just recently found an opportunity to reopen. Trust me I know, I was there in that spot having a good time.

I guess I’m part of what makes this city “trashy”. But I enjoy getting out, socializing, and just having fun my friends downtown at places like Dogwood.

If you came from Chicago and were looking for a more laid back atmosphere, I’d recommend checking out Cary and living there. Many great restaurants and not so much partying at night.

What kind of experience were you expecting living downtown next to Glenwood South?

8 Likes

Yikes
Twenty characters

7 Likes

As someone who used to frequent Glenwood South, I will say there is a fine line between telling someone to get over it because it’s an entertainment district and it being over the top. Unless we know what it’s like at 1-2am, it’s not right for any of us to say “get over it”. Is it background noise or is it rattling windows? I would say one is appropriate and the other is not.

7 Likes

thank you Bobby, good to see some sense here! Exactly…

It’s like the violent protesters y’all–no one is anti protesting (or parteyyying!). But there is always a fine line between doing what you want and infringing into someone else’s right

And that music the way they play it there, that is nightclub music, not what you do in a strip like Glenwood South. There is a time and a place

I have lived in New York City, ( Brooklyn ), born and raised. Also in Midtown Manhattan Eastside.

oh wow…really maverick!!!

I do agree to some of what you are saying, it is just that if folks want to live in DT expect all the noise and hassle.

2 Likes

Not the noise of Dogwood man

Btw Beer Garden is not quiet, and I never complained!!! It’s totally different

WOW, that hurts. So I’m a loser is that what you’re trying to say.

:+1: :+1:,heehee can;t help it,I do have a soft spot for my HT. no worries. :slightly_smiling_face: