Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Just passed by. Still just the “W” up. It looks like it has about 30 led bulbs in it as well so that should look really cool at night.

7 Likes

I’m guessing they’re going to put “smoky” on the concrete panels above the gate? Feel like this is a dumb question but :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

I’m still holding on to the thought that the W is the wrong size and that’s why it’s just been that one letter for over a week now

3 Likes

I walked by it yesterday and just laughed at all of us.

5 Likes

that would make sense.

Maybe that’s the W that goes on top of the building and someone installed it down below by mistake. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Someone accidentally set the CAD scale to 1"=5/8" instead of 1"=1/2" or something like that :joy:

10 Likes

Raleigh, where any thing that needs to be hung up takes 6 months to install. Kind of like that Capital City bridge artwork that’s sitting at 1/4th finished :upside_down_face:

16 Likes

I hung string lights in my backyard in under 2 hours. Maybe I should be a consultant for Kane Realty and others.

10 Likes

But how will the fire department get through your backyard…

7 Likes

I’ve got a garden hose. Covered all my bases! :rofl:

1 Like

I really hope that is the case because it looks hideous

TBJ reports Williams Realty & Building Company is planning phase III this Summer and that the “third phase is expected to include office, residential, retail and hotel space.”

So hopefully we see at least one 30+ story tower move forward—if it’s even that big any more.

14 Likes

While I’d be disappointed, 20 stories would still make a huge impact here. Maybe they’ll just reduce the office component.

3 Likes

Yeah 20 stories is fine for that location but 30 or more would be better. Especially if they just focus on residential for the main tower. Optimistically I suspect that phase 3 will take on a similar approach to the Walter + Advance Auto tower that the property will be split between a smaller office tower and a much taller but skinnier residential tower. All sitting on a massive parking deck.

8 Likes

I see something like the following going down:

1. first floor retail
  2. levels of parking above the retail.
  3. outdoor space on top of podium
  4. short tower of office
  5. tall tower of hotel + residential.
    I’d be happy to get retail fronting both Peace and Harrington. Johnson seems to be the likely location for vehicle access to various garage levels.
10 Likes

Agree with you here. The block has a pretty big footprint so good chance for 2 / multiple varied height towers. Trying to decide if it’d be better for the taller tower to be on the north end or south of the block? It’ll look more dramatic I think if it’s on the north and it’s the first thing you see coming past the park on Capital

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, the rezoning massing had just the 1 tower on the north 1/2 or 1/3 of the footprint rising out of like a 7-floor podium that took up the whole site?

2 Likes

Found this crazy website: Smokey Hollow – The Raleigh Connoisseur

12 Likes

Interesting. I hope at the very least that podium will be wrapped by retail on 3 sides if it’s all parking

1 Like