Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Well played!! :rofl:

Hereā€™s an early one!
Google Photos

13 Likes

Hahahhahahahh, holy cow man, must be cheap labor.

25 Likes

I was hoping theyā€™d go with more of the individual type lights in there. Would seem like itā€™d fit more with the industrial vibe.

9 Likes

Iā€™m okay with how it ended up. The individual bulb example makes me think of old San Francisco or (if anyone has even heard of this place) Farrellā€™s Ice Cream from yesteryear.

7 Likes

I am more convinced than ever that both Johnson & Harrington, and Johnson and West need to be roundabouts.

5 Likes

I agree but wonā€™t work ROW wise. Will probably qualify for signals once SH is up and running fully.

1 Like

They can do small ones there. They donā€™t have to be huge. Couldnā€™t they?

2 Likes

They may be able to. Would have to see if the volumes and truck percentage exceed the max for being able to do a mini-roundabout.

1 Like

Word has it that the owner of Happy & Hale is opening a tapas style restaurant in Smoky Hollow. No idea when this will open tho.

19 Likes

Happy 'n 'Hale Yeah ---- small plates in an order and sit kinda vibe with bring to the table service would be a good thing in this spotā€¦

5 Likes

Wonder if we will ever see any pedestrian improvements on West Street in front of Smoky Hollow. The intersection at West & Johnson is not pedestrian friendly at all. Kind of a nightmare to cross during peak Glenwood hours. Having done this multiple times, living at The Line. As soon as Smoky Hollow retail opens up, itā€™s only going to be even worse as more people walk across.

There also is no side walk opposite of Smoky Hollow, in between Tucker & Johnson on West Street. This would partially help with crossing from West & Johnson, if a sidewalk could be added.

12 Likes

Perhaps a ā€œped scrambleā€ option for several GlenSo intersections as well as Tucker/West and Johnson/West would be beneficial besides the sidewalk improvements you mentioned. I suspect The Creamery development will incorporate improvements to Tucker/North St. but not sure how far east to West St. that will include.

5 Likes

How these signals arenā€™t ped scrambles on Glenwood already blows my mind. They fit the reasoning ped scrambles were created perfectly. It would also help the gridlock on Glenwood that forms nightly.

4 Likes

Completely agree with this.

I spent ~8minutes there last weekend and left convinced that someone will get killed there sooner or later without any changes to West Street

I think these concerns are actually valid and warranted and not just us ā€œcomplainingā€ or anything like that. I think we should bring this to the city and get it on their radar to do something about going forward because itā€™s only going to get worse. In my experience, locals complaining to the city / state does actually carry weight when in comes to safety items.

8 Likes

Yes! Was just thinking this. Any ideas on how we would go about bringing up this issue to the city?

2 Likes

A concerned email to the council member of that district (Not sure if they call them districts / wards / zones etc in Raleigh) saying you donā€™t feel safe crossing is a start.

The whole setup here to me doesnā€™t make sense from an Engineering safety standpoint. You have the weird 3-way stop at Johnson and Harrington. The only time you really see that is when you have a high volume of traffic coming off an interstate or something and itā€™d cause a hazard with them queuing up to the mainline. But here thereā€™s no high volume, they have a decel lane, Capital is only 40 MPH and it causes confusion for the other 3 directions who think the vehicles coming off Capital stop. Plus itā€™s a downtown area, we donā€™t need anyone having free flow conditions in a high pedestrian area.

My 2nd huge concern is the intersection with West and Johnson. How this isnā€™t a 4-way really confuses me. If youā€™re coming down Johnson, you canā€™t even see the vehicles on West. Also, if weā€™re saying WB Johnson off Capital is important enough to have free flow, then how is it minor enough to have two-way stop at West. Also if itā€™s major enough to get a light at Glenwood, how is it minor enough to have a two-way stop at West. The whole setup makes no sense to me. Itā€™s also terrible for pedestrians, given the high level of peds present here, especially at night. At the VERY least, both of these need to be made 4-way stops before itā€™s too late. Eventually with SH growing up, these will probably warrant signals.

17 Likes