Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

I really do wonder why there’s such a delay in moving in any of these tenants, or at least announcing them.

A lot bigger project. But for comparison. The Fenton project in Cary has already announced 17 retail tenants before the project has even been completed.

4 Likes

I’ll add that they said that they are getting a ton of interest from national chains, but that they are prioritizing curating “local” tenants for The Hollow between the buildings. Expect it to be heavy on food and drink, some services (salons), while light on soft goods stores that might be more typically found in malls or places like The Village District and North Hills.

3 Likes

I’m fine with some chains. Keep people downtown rather than driving out.

11 Likes

I don’t disagree with you. A chain I’d really like to see there is Apple, but that’s not likely to happen. I also wouldn’t mind a national chain drug store like CVS there.

8 Likes

Did yall already see that the little 2-story triangle spot in the Peace/Publix building was “Creative Office” space? Sorry if I missed it.

5 Likes

New biz alert. There’s a sports card shop opening up on July 9th across from The Line, called Oak City Sports Cards.

10 Likes

I think a large part of this is that Smoky Hollow was built on spec interest, while Fenton was built on pre-leasing. No inside knowledge but that would be my guess. Retail and office leasing is still in the tank so it’s difficult to sign up new tenants without a pre-construction commitment

3 Likes

What type of restaurants and stores would you guys like to see at Smoky Hollow?? I’d love to see a deli, tap room, American grille, CVS or Walgreens, and winery.

1 Like

Someone else said it before, and it was followed by a “never gonna happen,” but my pipe dream is R&D putting a taproom there.

Also I’d love to see a coffee shop that roasts their own beans. This area needs more roaster competition (or, at least, better roaster competition).

10 Likes

Based off the space sizes, I think there’s going to be some limits on what can come in.

Lot sizes:

West Village sizes:

Walgreen size is 24,249 sq ft.

I was thinking a fitness place, but Crunch is 27,065.

Looks like we may have 4 restaurants, a bakery, coffee shop, maybe a eye dr, haircut place, nail place, a few boutiques, and maybe a specialized exercise place. Row House in Midtown East (name of the shopping center) is 2,028 sq ft. CAVA is 2,718. A cell phone store might work but not something I would be excited about.

Not really my choice of shops, but I guess they could benefit the residents there. I’d probably go to the bakery, coffee shop, or restaurant.

On a separate note, it looks like West Village (I’m not calling it Village District) has quite a few spaces available.

2 Likes

Glenwood needs some desert options. Would love some ice cream, cookie, or doughnut concept here. I was previously told a gelato shop had signed as a tenant over a year ago, curious to see if that holds true.

Kind of a random one. But I’d love a good pet supply store, one that would carry my cat’s veterinary diet brand :joy: Tired of driving 15 minutes into Cary just to get his food.

Any brewery concept is welcomed with open arms. This was another one they mentioned would be joining Smoky.

I’m not a coffee drinker at all. But Smoky Hollow screams coffee shop to me. Maybe a coffee shop/bar hybrid concept?

Oddly specific. But Cary’s La Farm Bakery opening another location. I think they’d be a perfect fit in Smoky Hollow and would thrive.

I love Vics downtown. But would welcome any pizza/Italian concept here on Glenwood with open arms.

Lastly. Please give me a good breakfast/brunch concept here. One that will stay open until 2am too. Was just in Dirty Myrtle and had these amazing cinnamon roll waffles, I want one those again but in downtown haha.

4 Likes

I’m always curious why certain American fare restaurants add the ‘E’…which literally translates to barrier or screen, which y’know isn’t really all that welcoming or appropriate. It’s basically shorthand for high-end, which is basically short hand for dress codes and establishment, which is sorta confounding.
Maybe too much coffee for me this am…? Things that make ya go Hmmm…

2 Likes

Dig the ideas and all could work in smaller shop formats…
Phydeaux on Atlantic not able to help out the dietary kitty specifics ?
A deli / larder kinda thing by La Farm would be lovely…!
Cafe / breakfast joint as well.
Pizza by the slice as well. ‘Escape from NY’ kinda thing if you’ve ever been to SF.
Ice Cream shop seems tailor made for the Holler.

3 Likes

Yesssssssss I’m gonna join you in just calling it West Village until it catches on naturally.

As for Smoky Hollow retail; seeing a lot of you wishing for a pharmacy chain, but I would imagine Publix has its own pharmacy, no? As much as I can appreciate the want for goods and services that would benefit the apartments above, they alone would not sustain this inward focused retail center - it needs to be a shopping destination and draw in people from the outside in order to thrive. Thus said, I’m definitely down for a taproom (R&D would be a dream, love their Mexican beer), coffee shop, and even a small pharmacy/convenience store - but what would truly draw in droves of people are more unique retail concepts and boutiques. And this can even be accomplished with chains - they just have to keep it interesting. I’m talking Buffalo Exchange (something I truly would actually love), Rocket Fizz (I’m aware there is now one in a spot in the Alexander Square parking deck, but we all know that has the potential for redevelopment and may not last much longer), West Elm/Pottery Barn/etc, Rough Trade records, a Whole Body type store (Whole Foods’ health/beauty store), etc etc

6 Likes

The thing about many of the larger pharmacy chains is that they are more likely to operate on a 24 hour basis, or at least longer hours than a grocer.
As for the parcels themselves, the rep that gave the tour the other day told us that they are open to splitting and combining retail spaces to suit various sized tenants.
Personally, I’d like to see more daily life sort of businesses open in Smoky Hollow so that there’s less need for me to get into my car.

2 Likes

That’s super encouraging to hear!!! Raleigh is in desperate need of smaller format retail spaces to allow for more small/local businesses to be able to open brick n mortars.

6 Likes

All this said, I agree a good mix of boutiques, food, and “daily life” stores that would directly benefit those living in the general vicinity are all equally important, and with the option to split these spaces for smaller storefronts only opens up the possibility for more of a variety of options here. With that, I’d also really really REALLY love to see some non-retail/restaurant attractions open up, specifically meaning art gallery/entertainment options. I love the Glas neon workshop/art gallery in Dock 1053, but by god would it be amazing in one of these spaces, with the large open window storefront they could fill the space with neon and create a dazzling art attraction. And then if anyone has been to the Pinball Museum in Asheville, it’s one of my favorite places there and a pinball arcade would be amazing. Also on my list of wants: small comedy club. Something with Goodnights’ pull for larger, touring comedians, but with a smaller stage and seating area allowing for even more intimate shows - could even offer drop ins from Goodnights’ comedians after their shows there.

5 Likes

I agree with everything else but we have NY style pizza places everywhere :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Demos doesn’t cut it for me. I also think Glenwood could support two pizza joints. Can never have enough pizza haha.

That big corner retail spot facing the Capital Blvd exit could be a nice 3 course prix fixe European style bistro if they allow plenty of outdoor dining. I’ve been eating like a king for the past 2 weeks and all in outdoor dining. Why downtown of all places doesn’t have this culture is why I think we have a long way to go still.

*Frankly, Wake County and surround counties need to form an agricultural union to promote quality produce and farm made products. Once that happens we can promote these products via food culture at restaurants.

4 Likes