Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

RLine Connects to SH. All is not lost.

3 Likes

lol well I guess hereā€™s a good test-case in peopleā€™s threshold for convenience in terms of transit vs. car.

A direct route from Durham Station to Moore Square Station is already 1 hour. At that point, Iā€™m not really willing to transfer, wait for a connection, risk missing the connection if my bus is delayed, or bring my total commute time up to 1.5 hours. Personally, I want a direct route that gets me within a 10ish minute walk of my destination, or Iā€™d probably end up driving.

3 Likes

ā€¦or you just move to Raleigh. :wink:

3 Likes

If you get off near State of Beer, 421 Harrington is a 7 minute walk. Iā€™m not sure if the DRX stops there (#100 does), but if it doesnā€™t, it is about a 10-11 minute walk if you get off at the Capital building. Use one of the scooters and itā€™s quicker.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s true. Itā€™s a 13-minute walk from the Capitol, which is the nearest stop. Not bad.

8 Likes

Is this something you sent to the city?

not yet. I just made it.

Iā€™d add that itā€™s equally as bad heading WB on Johnson St. and maybe even mention how nonsensical it is that Johnson is important enough to be free flow off of capital and have a signal at Glenwood but at the same time be the minor approach at West. Iā€™d really be curious to see them reason that one.
Also on GoogleEarth if you turn off ā€œ3D buildingsā€ you can see updated imagery from 3.21.21 so itā€™ll show things how they are now!

5 Likes

Thanks for working on this!

Was just thinking on how there needs to be a ā€œno parkingā€ setback on both Tucker & West as well as Johnson & West. Would help see traffic a bit easier when turning onto West street. Also the obvious answer to these is to make them 4 way stops with pedestrian crossing lines.

2 Likes

stupid me was using google maps! Thanks for the tip.

3 Likes

The updated imagery actually just came in within the last couple of days too. Spent a little more time than Iā€™m willing to admit exploring the changes since the last update downtown :joy:

3 Likes

Or keep the parking and add a stop light. This part of town is only going to get busier.

1 Like

Thatā€™d be ideal. Once Smoky Hollow gets going it should meet warrants, even if just based on peds.

I think a light would be overkill here. 4 way stop would flow better. The 4 way stop at West & Jones works as intended.

1 Like

Has there been an update on the artwork on the Capital Blvd bridge over Peace? Do they plan to finish it?

2 Likes

Still havenā€™t added anymoreā€¦only the one section has been finished. They definitely donā€™t seem in a hurry to finish this up.

1 Like

not sure what or who their sources are, but I saw this in raleigh mag this morning:

20 Likes

Nice, but what is a kitchen driven sandwich?

Wow. Interesting place to hear about all of these for the first time! Like the sound of all these additions.

1 Like