Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

I’d rather my city be experienced by foot on a sidewalk, than in a car passing through at 65+MPH.

4 Likes

Lol I’ve got this picture in my head of this kind of tourism. Cities at 65 mph. Sounds awful…

A lot of people have only seen Richmond from that stretch on I95. It’s a shame that the Interstate system sliced right through that city.

3 Likes

Snapped this last weekend and created this pano looking at the western side of Smokey Hollow. I’m really looking forward to coming back throughout the years and getting updates from this spot. Right now, this shows you how large this project really is.

10 Likes

Yep. It’s a big project! When it’s done, it’s going to give context to the West building and make it way more desirable.
As much as I’m not a fan of that parking deck on the back of the Peace building, I will be very happy to see the surface lots go!

3 Likes

Look. There is my balcony. Upper right corner. Our bldg is getting put back together. New balcony railings for many of us is next. And a power wash in there somewhere.

5 Likes

Phase 3 if approved for DX-40 would have just over 700 residential units. If not approved it would have just over 400. That’s what the presentation said at the North Central CAC meeting. I asked if they would be apartments or condos and they said undecided.

4 Likes

With 700 units, and no more than 40 floors, it doesn’t seem like there would be a large amount of available space for office?

Wow, those train track supports look ancient. Is that an active track?

Oh yeah. There is a plan to dress them up.

3 Likes

I really hope Smokey Hollow incorporates more office than just the one building of phase 2. Maybe he’ll do a large office tower at the rumored phase 4 location? I went to lunch on Glenwood South a month ago and they are seriously missing the sidewalk traffic in the middle of the day. Felt like a ghost town.

6 Likes

The hearing for zoning for Phase 3 is Tuesday at 9am. I have no idea how this process works. Will it be approved / denied then or is that just part of the approval process?

3 Likes

Not sure but I’m planning to attend.

2 Likes

700 is a massive number for residential units.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Train Track Corridors in Downtown

I think it’s a pretty good spot for a large building but wonder how traffic will end up given that the site is essentially wrapped by an exit ramp. Harrington is really the only spot a parking garage could exit to and that’s going to be backed up by the Peace light. I think functionally it’d work better on the Wake County general services site but obviously that’s not in play here.

1 Like

I think that Johnson is an even better option for entrance and exit from such a parking garage. Even then, it’s a huge challenge to put a huge building inside that square loop exit. It will be especially challenging during morning rush hour with all of the state employees coming down Capital from the north.

1 Like

Or both Harrington and Johnson. In from Johnson, out to Harrington. But it could be a real cluster and it may be something that could hinder approval. I’m already wondering how this new intersection is going to work when Phase 1 opens much less 2 and 3. Backups on Capital could be a real mess. I support the variance as I trust they will figure this out.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how many residential units phase 1, 2 and 3 combined will bring?

Answered my own question
Phase 1: 417
Phase 2: 280
Phase 3: 400-700

3 Likes

Has Kane said that phase 3 is definitely residential? I would think a final decision would be made after they know zoning restrictions.