Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

That last one is the 1906 Hoffman Building on Lovejoy Wharf in Boston. So, an actual historic building. Notably, new construction was added to complement the existing building.

3 Likes

pretty awesome idea for reusing and expanding a historical building. Thanks for the link @Mark

Will the phase 3 rezoning saga finally come to an end? We’ll find out on Tuesday.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=BF9HV549AE6C

7 Likes

From the various docs:

• Proposed zoning conditions prohibit high intensity and auto oriented uses,
    provide design and lighting standards for parking structures, specify
    permitted and prohibited cladding materials, provide limitations to lighting,
    provide minimum active use requirements for the ground floor, and
    thresholds for requiring additional traffic study during development.

• Proposed zoning conditions also require the property owner to pay the City
    one million dollars ($1,000,000) to be placed in a fund designated for the
    City’s affordable housing program.

• The request is consistent with the Future Land Use Map.

• The request is consistent with the Comprehensive Plan.

After considering the policies, maps, and other materials included as a part of the
comprehensive plan, the Council determines that the proposed zoning amendment
is CONSISTENT with the comprehensive plan and other adopted plans and should
be APPROVED.

The action taken is reasonable and in the public interest because:

• Increased land use intensity in an urban area where Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)
    is planned will make the most of the regional investment in transit service.
  • Siting of a high intensity land use adjacent to a future city park will
    maximize the city’s investment in recreational infrastructure.
4 Likes

It actually seems like the process is working out exactly the way it is supposed to. May not be pretty but everybody compromised to some extent. Hopefully the final product is a good one.

prohibit high intensity and auto oriented uses

What is this exactly? No car dealerships??? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s a fancy way of saying to lower parking requirements ??? No drive-thrus??

1 Like

An e-scooter dealership on the ground floor would be pretty awesome tho!

5 Likes

I love the idea of a no drive-thru zone throughout downtown. At least a moratorium on new ones would be a step in the right direction.

3 Likes

I can’t fathom one would logistically work in SmoHo. Even at the new Panera Bread Triangle Store. That’s where all the traffic from the deck / Publix will be. No way.

2 Likes

Agreed! A drive-thru would be a nightmare in SH.

1 Like

From what I recall from the March 26th Planning Commission Meeting, that’s kind of it.

No car washes, garages, or dealerships. Also, I feel like there was something about it not being allowed to contain any “sweepstakes” style businesses, or adult industry.

Or maybe that was another property that appeared before the commission that day.

A Friday afternoon updated picture. A few notes:

• Three floors of the steel are in place for 2/3’s of the office building. These guys are like acrobats.
  • They are sanding or polishing the outside of the parking deck for phase 1. I suspect that means a coat of paint is not too far away. They have put a flashing of some type above the black brick so clearly the brick is as far as it is going.
  • The parking deck for phase 2 is moving faster than my pictures appear. I still think this is going to be built with pre-formed parts once they get a solid foundation in place but I don’t know that for sure.
12 Likes

If that’s 3 floors, and this will be a 9 story building, I’m thinking it’s going to appear taller than we’ve been thinking… !!!

5 Likes

Awesome pic, thanks for sharing! I agree that the progress of the steel beams is amazing, and I’m looking forward (kind of more than I need to) to finding out what the parking deck will look like finally. There’s those competing renderings… Anything is better than plain concrete tho.

1 Like

Stay tuned @GucciLittlePig. My bet is some type of concrete stain. That’s 100 percent a guess.

1 Like

Yeah, bigger than I expected. But bring it on!!

Thanks I was wondering just this morning when would be another update picture. :slight_smile:

I’ll do one next Friday but then for the next two weeks I’ll need to lean on @OakCityDylan.

2 Likes

I wish they’d paint it all different colors or something. I want Raleigh to look like Miami haha

2 Likes