The Dillon Retail

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m fine with MSFH as it is, and would rather see something else interesting go in that church space, perhaps a performance space, art gallery, or more brick n mortar retail. Perhaps if MSFH had a cooler vibe like Transfer, I’d be all for it - but I’d rather see something more interesting take up that space. Though anything would be more interesting than a “”"“hip”""" church, IMO.

7 Likes

Isn’t this about the size of other Weaver Streets though? They compete as they are and it shouldn’t matter how they compare size wise to other grocers.

1 Like

My thing on size is that I want to walk/bike here to get 100% of my items and not also have to drive to Teeter. I’ve never seen a Weaver St so really have no idea what to expect. I’ve heard great things though

2 Likes

50 varieties of loose leaf tea and coffee, a dozen options for gluten-free flour, but where the hell are my Doritos and Bagel Bite pizzas? :smiley:

7 Likes

They are in the missing 30,000+ square feet of store. :rofl:
…or they are several blocks SE at DGX.

3 Likes

Intent understood, but where do you draw the line for “100% of items”? Butchers, bakers, and produce sellers used to all be separate and humanity was fine with that. Are you asking for a Super Walmart? Just food sans pharmacy items? If you are happy to bike there but cringe at biking up Glenwood for your Pharm stuff, I uh, not sure I can relate to that struggle.

Yeah, I don’t need my tires rotated or camping gear. I’m just saying if I have to regularly go to Publix to finish my weekly grocery trip, I’ll probably just do all my shopping there for convenience sake

1 Like

I’m likely to do the same thing. If there’s something really special that I can only get at Weaver Street, I’ll make the trek there, but that’s unlikely for me since Publix will only be 2 basically flat blocks for me to walk.

1 Like

Ah ok. Well I go to the store about 3-4 times a week and get 3-4 things each time. Can you really get a weeks worth of stuff home by walking or biking? I honestly think the smaller, Weaver St model works better than the Publix model for the apartment/condo dwellers in downtown proper and it’ll do as good or better than Publix RE whatever profit goals they have. The only thing I think that might hurt Weaver St is that the west DTR crowd isn’t very uh, crunchy. They are not a co-op cherishing, crowd. Seems more like a tapas eating, lulu lemon bunch to me. Protein shakes and poke vs hemp milk and cauliflower ‘cheese’. A fake warehouse vibe vs actual warehouses. Perhaps Weaver St has adapted from the Carrboro store I am most familiar with.

5 Likes

Yeah, yes you can. There are these things called folding carts that you can drag with you to the store to carry things home. I’ve also used the giant costco insulated bag sitting in a bike share basket, and wore a backpack on my back.
I’ve also used the large backpack method to walk to C.V. after a big snowstorm.

2 Likes

You had me up to the word “crunchy”? …Lol :wink::joy:
I must be getting old, I think I need a translation for rest…insert sarcasm emoji here…however I think that I agree with you…:blush::innocent::sunglasses:

1 Like

For a week’s worth of groceries, you just need one of these bad boys:

I personally can’t wait to finally have the opportunity to use one! My grandmother would be so proud.

Though it won’t hold a week’s worth, I might also get one of these since I already have a Topeak rack:

4 Likes

See, to me all these giant contraptions are more trouble than going to several stores several times a week or two stops in one night. I find a simple shopping trip sort of relaxing but lugging a big thing around a stressful pain. Bottom line, I am really excited about Weaver St and less so about Publix but know its needed by me and many others.

1 Like

It’s really great to see multiple options to satisfy different shopping types in and around downtown. Much better than trying to cram everyone in downtown into the Teeter.

4 Likes

When we are in Rome IT we use the grocery buggy you pictured a whole lot, lots of people do. For one thing, you have to buy shopping bags at the register so its best to bring something. I think its a requirement for Italian Grannies to have one at all times. If Grandma can use one, most of us should be able to as well. That bike thing-a-ma-jiger looks pretty darn cool.

2 Likes

Everyone finds their own way. I’m personally both a strong bike rider and strong person and have hauled quite a bit back to my home by both bike & foot without one of those folding carts.

1 Like

To be clear I’m a big fan of you folks that can handle it all in one trip and do so on a bike. I recognize I am the weak one here or perhaps the weird one who prefers multiple trips a week. All this was just tangential to me thinking Weaver St’s model is fine. Bike and shop and be the urban dweller we all need everyone. (and thanks for all the gear insight everyone)

2 Likes

Does anyone have an updated timeline for Weaver Street? We’re dying to have a bikeable grocery locale. I had July pegged on my calendar for open date after reading the update below, but wanted to see if anyone had more up to date information on opening. TY! https://www.weaverstreetmarket.coop/raleigh-news/

4 Likes

September 4th is the new date (at least that’s what we’ve been told)!

3 Likes

I tweeted at them asking for an update.

4 Likes