The Metropolitan Apartments / Quorum Center

Smoky Hollow Part 5.23/A98

7 Likes

The Metropolitan 2.0

1 Like

Highwoods buys it, rezones for 20 and sits on it for 15 years.

I’m going for likes here, guys.

In all seriousness, I actually have been thinking of going public with my distaste for Highwoods, soliciting any feedback of why Highwoods is good for Raleigh. We have empty lots turned gravel parking lots, killed development projects (121 Faye) and now seemingly a strong-arm move to push out what little retail we have on Fayetteville St.

Somebody convince me otherwise, but do it over in the new Highwoods thread.

21 Likes

Haven’t the League of Munifcipalities and LGFCU typically worked with the Reynolds family as developers in the past? Or has this business relationship been dissolved? Are the Reynolds’ still involved in local real estate development at all?

I remember way back when, the Reynolds’ built Quorum, and were also the initial developers to take a stab at developing at 300 Hillsborough. They planned a ~28 story skyscraper there, until the Great Recession squashed that idea.

They owned, or used to own, anyway, that building at 316 Edenton that was damaged in the fire and recently demolished.

Anyway, just wondering if they might have something to do with this or not.

4 Likes

The space is cleared down to the parking pad, and all the equipment is gone. Time for something to happen.

12 Likes

I have a feeling this is going to sit empty for a long time.

13 Likes

The NCLM almost certainly has to sell the lot before any development starts, so there’s definitely going to be a gap.

1 Like

Originally, they wanted to be a part of the new development with some office space for them. They were also the ones (through CBRE) who put out the RFP. It could be as easy as selecting one of the responses.

2 Likes

I dunno where this goes but wasn’t the Wake County Service Center 2 blocks north supposed to go to RFP? Does anyone know the status of that?

And it has now become…

A fabulous parking lot!

7 Likes

…welp

characters characters characters

1 Like

Wow. It’s beautiful!

…stripes are done…

1 Like

Oh good, looks so much better now! :joy:

1 Like

Tonight is the 5 year anniversary of the massive Metropolitan fire.

17 Likes

One of my shots

10 Likes

I don’t see a watermark… are you sure?

3 Likes

Wow, just wow…What a crazy surreal night that was…Time fried. :pleading_face:

5 Likes

Quorum tower/Metropolitan apartments Raleigh, NC fire March 16th 2017 - YouTube wow thanks for reminding me that was 5 years ago tonight. I had no idea what was going on from my vantage.

2 Likes

As long time Quorum residents we were talking about our memories of that night and were surprised to see that others remembered it. It was life changing for us.

1 Like