VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

What should you recommend me to do

The Dewberry Hotel in Charleston makes great use of an old federal office building. Super nice place, too.

5 Likes

I know the Blue Ridge Corridor Alliance’s vision is probably a pipe dream, but even if it’s never this fully realized, the Blue Ridge area is a huge opportunity to develop more responsibly and connect to the denser urban areas of Raleigh. I wouldn’t want this to just be sprawling suburbs.

5 Likes

Vela should help pull the skyline east!

10 Likes

As a Yankee, I’ve never heard side-by-side and a duplex means a single building with two separate residences in it.

3 Likes

That first image with the bronze glass immediately made me think of the Wynne/Encore in Vegas. I’m not personally a fan of that bronze aesthetic (looks very dated to me), but I’m glad to see a building that embraces the unusual shape of the property.

I only wish the one-ways of New Bern and Person were going the other direction so that people would see that flat iron corner on the approach instead of having to look through the rear view mirror!

5 Likes

A duplex in Manhattan often means a two floor apartment in a tower.

1 Like

Interesting. Everywhere else in the Northeast it means this:

Not to be confused with the notorious “triple decker” from New England. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Kind of agree, but maybe it will look good in its modern incarnation? At least it’s unique for DTR.

Also agree about the streets. Dare to dream someday these will be two-way and that poor section of downtown will finally feel more connected?

Isn’t Person going two way soon - Or is that only up by Mordecai/Oakwood?

I base information on several friends from MA and CT. With One, spending 4 days looking for housing in CT. Heard those terms from multiple people while in area.

1 Like

All of Blount / Person should be going two-way soon

9 Likes

I’ve always understood it to mean two residences side by side. Grew up in California so I’m not a yankee though. :slight_smile:

I grew up here, but that’s the same definition I’ve come to know for a duplex. Now developers are trying to get fancy and rebrand them as “Duets”.

1 Like

Nice looking building, but I feel like their Vela sign will be laying in the street the first time it faces a decent hurricane.

7 Likes

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/new-york/214-w-104th-st-4b-new-york-ny-10025--2172771108
https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/new-york/26-e-127th-st-4r-new-york-ny-10035--2174123367
https://www.nestseekers.com/sales/manhattan/duplex

Just some receipts on my comment.

1 Like

I like it. The shape and colors are unusual, it has good height, and it will expand the skyline’s footprint.

I also think the more residents we get in DTR the more restaurants, amenities, etc will follow.

16 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what I understand a duplex is from 34 years of living in CT and MA. But who knows, maybe I heard it from my parents who were from Buffalo.

1 Like

GO BILLS! (extra characters)

Beautiful building, I say. Can’t wait to see it!

2 Likes