VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

Developer website: https://veladev.com/

Sounds like an off-shoot from Post Road Group? And starting off with 4 projects in Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, and Phoenix. Hope they are up to the challenge! Looks like the Raleigh project might be their signature tower.

10 Likes

FWIW, they allegedly have a 32-story project in Charlotte

Itā€™s on the website, very prominent location but the design is nothing special.

I think this is part of the Charlotte Main Library block redevelopment. Yes, Charlotte is getting a brand new signature library as well.

5 Likes

Iā€™d take that in DTR. Maybe not in place of what theyā€™re doing on the Marbles lot, but I could think of a LOT of places DTR Iā€™d like to see this popping up on the skyline. (as condos)

12 Likes

Yeah, weā€™re getting their best one - the shape of the lot forced some interesting angles, and they donā€™t seem to be cheaping out on materials.

The PHX one is fun, too.

9 Likes

This project looks awesome. Iā€™m really excited to see this. I love adding more residential to downtown, and the architecture looks really attractive, too.

I know everyone loves to shit on the fact that thereā€™s a federal courthouse across the street from this block, but crucial work of protecting public safety happens there, and building a new courthouse at a different location would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and require a literal act of Congress. That courthouse will still be there after all of us are dead, and it will be quite fine. Many, many, many cities have federal courthouses in the heart of downtown. Thatā€™s actually pretty typical. You donā€™t see many federal courthouses out in the suburbs, folks.

But, yes, this VeLa project is dope. Iā€™m a fan!

15 Likes

Preach.

It is critically important that facilities like this are centrally located close to transit hubs so everybody regardless of car ownership can have equal access to the government.

For example, I believe it is a hideous travesty of social justice that WCPSS headquarters is down by crossroads in Cary, where transit access is crap. That sort of facility belongs downtown, period, end of story.

11 Likes

The same argument would apply to the DMV headquarters. Placing that in Rocky Mount is stupid.

Plus we canā€™t move the Federal Courthouse for the entertainment purposes some folks bring to their Tuesday demonstrations. How honorable of them to take time off work during the middle of the day like that too.

4 Likes

FWIW, Richmond built a new Federal Courthouse that opened in 2008. It has a much smaller footprint than the behemoth (mostly single story) building we have here in DTR. Just saying.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s arguing that gigantic single story postal annex should stay. Itā€™s not even used anymore.

4 Likes

Probably canā€™t build anything next door that to a courthouse without a giant barrier and some distance from public structures so essentially that entire block is off-limits.

2 Likes

It would seem to me that Raleigh doesnā€™t have the ability to singularly change a federal courthouse. Wouldnā€™t that be up to the Federal Government and wouldnā€™t it require funding that the majority of the stateā€™s representation in Washington probably doesnā€™t support? How does that ball even get rolling?

3 Likes

Totally. I was honestly mostly envisioning a park, like Austinā€™s new federal courthouse on Republic Square.

2 Likes

With Vela on the east and RUSBus and Creamery on the west, it will surely broaden the skyline.

10 Likes

*the federal government built a new federal courthouse in Richmond. Those decisions are made in Washington with local feedback only. Write your congressman.

1 Like

Moving the DMV to Rocky Mount was a deliberate political move to cripple the institution. Many times that is the case, sadly.

4 Likes

Would the land behind wake med sort of be a ā€˜north hillsā€™ in the east? also i thought there was an article that tower SC was going to be redeveloped some months back? true?

Just found the VeLa Pie Town planned for Nashville on VeLaā€™s website. No image yet but hoping for something as nice as you got there. There is now more activity on the site with a second round of environmental sampling going on.

VELA | Real Estate Development Company (veladev.com)

The hits keep coming here with multiple towers announced over the past few months, mostly residential with the tallest at 45 stories in Midtown part of a 3-tower project.

If your ever curious about what is going on here. Here is a map I made for the Urban Planet group there.
Nashville Projects & Development - Google My Maps

7 Likes

Alright help me out. Anyone know?

Iā€™m not exactly sure where the name ā€œLongviewā€ comes from but it does seem to pop up around Raleigh. On the same block is the Vintage Church which was formerly called the Long View Center. Owned by a local real estate developer, he sold it in 2013 to the current church. The same developer, Gordon Smith, helped start the Marbles Kidā€™s Museum and played a pivotal role in rezoning the parking lot that is now to become VeLa Longview.

Clearly, the Longview name has some significance here with someone involved. Iā€™m going to throw this post up on the Community and see if we canā€™t figure this out.

https://dtraleigh.com/2022/11/vela-longview-tower-planned-for-marbles-parking-lot-along-morgan-street/

2 Likes

This rezoning has been passed right? Also, I hope not once a rezoning happens they canā€™t go back right. Because Iā€™m gonna pushes Mary-Ann Baldwin and the rest of the council in its last days to upzone Downtown Raleigh to DX-40 as a final middle finger to the new council if I know they can undo it.

1 Like