VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

The council can downzone properties, but they would then face a major lawsuit over the “taking of property” without just compensation. And, they would lose in court.

5 Likes

Probably named after the Longview Gardens Historic District nearby. There’s a city in NC called Long View but probably no relations. Why Longview Gardens Historic District is called Longview Gardens I don’t know.

1 Like

Probably because it sounds nice and has those long flowing streets, so you literally have a long view.

https://rhdc.org/longview-gardens-historic-district

3 Likes

Okay so they should do it and I’ll be a middle finger to newcomers. Because if money ruins the city this could be like a loophole. Let me explain we Upzone now and the council of no decided to try to downzone they’ll get sued and developers win and furthermore all these lawsuit will come people will get outraged about these lawsuit using taxpayers dollars we can blame Black, Harrison, and Jones they’ll be one termed in the next election. I hope you understand the strategy. I’ll essentially be a gun to the head to the NIMBY newcomers. I’ll tell them you better not do it. @Alan

It is because the guy who developed it had a big farm he called Longview. His home is still around next to Wake Med. Something Poe. Apparently that whole area was all cleared farmland with a big view. He lead the development of Longview Gardens which hugs New Bern

13 Likes

Even worse the new city council will rezone what is under construction now and then the excess floors must be torn down to meet new requirements. Might even do a negative rezone where buildings may only go downward and underground. :grimacing:

4 Likes

That smells like a lawsuit. Hopefully you’re being sarcastic. Look ima do everything in my power to have Mary A Black and Christina Jones, and Jane Harrison I one term person.

Sarcasm reeks for sure

Wait you’re for real.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

i thought clarence poe 60 some years ago named longview and had some stake in developing it.

3 Likes

There was a Longview School off King Charles Avenue in East Raleigh. It may have County Offices now.

1 Like

The one in AZ has some pretty cool windows.

Clarence Poe was the editor of The Progressive Farmer and he dubbed his house Longview, which now belongs to Wake Med. It was donated to the hospital by his great granddaughter. It was built in the 1920’s.

7 Likes

I thought it might’ve been that Poe. He ends up moving to B’ham AL and Progressive Farmer will/own start Southern Living many years later

4 Likes

I think we have the best designed tower yet.

The Nashville tower is 32 stories like the Charlotte tower but completely unremarkable rectangle. So I hope Vela Longview does go with something like their renders.

8 Likes

Well I ya got the rezoning approval of the land, it’s needs ASR and permits hopefully the renderings are good.

ASR-0094-2022. The review comments in early November seem fairly minor and mostly adding specific notes and dimensions on the drawings. Hopefully easily corrected and they can move on to the next step.

5 Likes

Going to be contrarian here and say I prefer this one simply because it lacks an obvious parking pedestal. Would much rather have a uniform tower even if the design is an unremarkable rectangle (though I do actually think this looks cool, and would def stand out in our skyline) vs a big ol’ blank parking box with a tower plopped on top.

I think that’s a better design than ours too.

Neither design is remarkable. But the Raleigh’s exterior treatment looks arbitrary and tacky, while the Nashville tower has an understated elegance to it. Simplicity is not a bad thing, and I also think there’s probably a good amount of effort going into making that façade sing with all the material changes and depth (much more $$$ than a uniform glass curtain wall with darts tacked on).

4 Likes