VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

For sure. Redlining and its discriminatory practices were national, and they particularly overlapped with race in communities with large Black populations.

2 Likes

The craziest road in N Raleigh right now is Wake Forest road. Start downtown, then turns into Atlantic, unless you jog over to stay on WF. Then turns into falls of Neuse, unless you take right by the red lobster. Then several more jogs and turns near spring Forest while joining back to Atlantic, until it gets swallowed up by triangle town center. Never ending up in Wake Forest.

15 Likes

That sound very interesting. Didn’t know that thanks for sharing. Personally I’ve always been for a highway going through Raleigh to excelente growth here but. I don’t think there no racial segregation in Raleigh that through enough. Since the considered black area are literally right next to downtown.

You mean old Wake Forest Road.

Btw Wake Forest Eoad you have to go through East Whitaker Mill Road.

Yeah. Same original road I would think. Some parts are called WF Rd. Others are called Old WF Rd. Seems like years ago it was all one road leading the WF. But it’s been chopped up into bits and pieces over the years.

But that’s just my guess. Maybe some old maps would show the original road.

1 Like

I mean, I-40 goes through Raleigh. You can see downtown from it. If you mean you want one going straight through downtown… that would involve splitting downtown in half and leveling numerous buildings. Not to mention urban highways are widely proven to have been a huge mistake: many American cities were choked to death when we rammed highways through their urban cores (think Detroit, Cincinnati, Houston, Baltimore, etc.).

9 Likes

In the case of Raleigh, even I-40 acts like a de facto dividing line beyond which nobody would even remotely consider the area to south of it to be considered downtown.
To your point about downtown freeways being a big mistake (I agree BTW), consider how much money was spent to bury the freeway in Boston to correct the mistake.

10 Likes

Downtown South might be the compliment.

2 Likes

Or if you’re not into reading, watch “Them” (Amazon Prime). Great show. Only mildly relevant to this conversation due to it’s fictional nature, but this was a great place to plug that show.

1 Like

I will take a look at this. Thanks for the recommendation.

All the 20 to 40 to 30 rezoning drama… but looks like the most recent plan is… 20-story apartment building. Should be fine for this spot. Odd shaped site so very curious the layout.

7 Likes

Sometimes those descriptions are wrong. I think RUSBUS is still sometimes mentioned as 30 stories.

Obviously a year later, but if any developer attempts to build the RCC towers close to the height the city rendered (roughly 550ft and 700ft), they’d surely tower over downtown. However, with all these new towers coming into Raleigh these days, it would really just be like how the World Trade Center is in the skyline after just a couple years.

11 Likes

These red shapes are some of the planned high-rises in downtown, and wouldn’t tower over the rest. Some of them are just guesses/estimates as some developments have not released heights yet.

29 Likes

It gonna look beautiful!!!

1 Like

Kinda off topic but been enjoying reading the discussions about all the roads, where they go and why they’re now named what they are. For Wake Forest Rd, (based on what I have pieced together from various maps as well as random internet comments), I believe it initially started in downtown where it currently does, and followed its current route to where it turns into Atlantic Ave at US 401. However at this point, it curved to the left and dipped underneath the train tracks where the narrow road with the bridge is, then connected to what is still Wake Forest Rd on the west side of the tracks. If you look at an aerial view map you can see the connector; it’s also visible when driving past. From there it followed the current alignment to the Red Lobster, and would have essentially continued straight onto what is now Old Wake Forest Rd. The next section of Old Wake Forest has been rerouted in a bunch of places but it basically would have gone dead straight to Spring Forest Rd (via fragments of Old Wake Forest Rd that are now just dead-end side streets), then continued straight through what is now a shopping center at Spring Forest and Atlantic. At the north edge of that shopping center is another brief vestige of the original Old Wake Forest Rd alignment before it reconnects with the still-intact route that intersects with Capital Blvd about a mile later. At Capital, while the road on the eastern side of intersection is now signed as Old Wake Forest Rd (where it passed by TTC), that is a relatively modern connector to Fox Rd and not a part of Old Wake Forest. Instead, Old Wake Forest I believe continued straight up what is now Capital Blvd until (ironically) the Falls of Neuse Rd intersection. Here, it veered to the right onto Main St and went straight into Wake Forest.
I’m far too young to remember or even have witnessed any of the original Raleigh road alignments, but I enjoy looking at maps and piecing together where some of the roads used to go. I think one of the most surprising to me was that supposedly US 70 followed at least part of Leesville Rd through the Brier Creek area, or at least that’s what I understand from various internet commentary.

15 Likes

What is that building with the huge video board. Need those on some of these parking decks.

Unfortunately that’s just a super reflective glass window on the brand new Fitts-Woolard Hall, but I think it would be cool to have some sort of video board or digital display in city plaza. Talley Student Union has a screen that you can see through from inside the building. The christmastime projections on La Fortaleza in San Juan, PR also come to mind as a special event type of deal.

4 Likes

This was super fun to read while following along on Google Maps. Thank you!

5 Likes