VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

I hope we get some screens on the new RCC towers in downtown. I think that would really amp up the First Night Raleigh traditions.

5 Likes

Honestly a history of roads thread would be a really cool thread. Another small but fun one was the former sharp curves in Tryon Rd where the Renaissance Park neighborhood is now, used to be a municipal airport there which is why Tryon went straight to the tracks, turned 90 degrees northward, then made another 90 degree turn to cross the tracks. That transition was made much more gradual when they replaced the bridge over the tracks and rerouted Tryon to its current route. Apex/Cary have had some interesting realignments, and Charlotte has seen some dramatic changes to what feels like all of the main routes here (the long-gone final leg of Independence Blvd is pretty wild).

13 Likes

City of Raleigh and the developer are in due diligence currently concerning 220 East Morgan Street.

9 Likes

Could you explain what exactly that means?

1 Like

They are talking about any issues , parking , zoning, questions are asked both by the city and by the developer.

9 Likes

One time, I hugged the right side too much going over that bridge and blew both tires on that side. Ended up stopping basically right at the 90° curve or between the two, can’t recall exactly. Had to call my dad because 2 flats and only 1 spare.

Drilling equipment on site yesterday and this morning

18 Likes

23 Likes

Do we have the renderings and/or heights yet?

1 Like

Nope. Just a 30 story max

2 Likes

“The Longview”

ASR submitted to the city for review:

This from January… $10.35M land sale for future multi-housing development in Raleigh closes

The site offers in-place zoning that allows for a high-density, 30-story development. The LongView is planned to be a high-rise multi-housing community providing unobstructed views of downtown Raleigh.

Located at 220 E. Morgan St., The LongView offers proximity to historical sites, unique regional views, and convenient downtown access. The property is strategically positioned in Raleigh’s Moore Square District, which offers connectivity between the Capitol Square District and the tree-lined Historic Oakwood Residential District. The property allows walkability to downtown Raleigh destinations, and residents will also have access to several entertainment options within Moore Square, including 2,400 square feet of events space, 40,000 square feet of greenery, 5,500 square feet for a children’s play area and 1,000 square feet of dining options.

29 Likes

Here’s hoping they push it allllllll the way up to that 30-story limit they secured. Will easily be the tallest building East of the CBD/Fayetteville St district!

11 Likes

It’s a fascinating location, and one I’m super happy to see filled with something tall.

There are negative sides, it’s bracketed by two relatively fast busy streets (and the federal post office hulk). But otherwise, terrific location right next to Moore Square and Fayetteville Street, and a short walk up to the Person Street strip, over to the Warehouse District, or down to Transfer Co.

12 Likes

Shouldn’t we expect a rendering as part of the ASR?

1 Like

Mike gets the ASR link when they initially create it (I assume he’s checking the URL with the next numerical sequence) and usually it takes a few days for the additional info/renderings to get uploaded.

14 Likes

That’s what I was getting at. All should be revealed soon!
:crystal_ball:

2 Likes

I think the ASR technically only has to have site plan and elevations, but sometimes will include renderings. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It’s all of downtown the CBD?

Given how small the footprint of downtown is, technically I’d say yes, but I think MOST people consider Fayetteville St as the “CBD” of Raleigh

Have we seen anything yet on what this might look like?

The elevation drawings can be helpful, but I always feel like they can give a bad first impression, what with them being technical drawings.

1 Like